London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 34 of 40
Wednesday 15 June 2011 10.25pm
BM was a valuable asset to the area 10 years ago, now it is increasingly becoming a valuable asset to people similar to those who think betting shops on the high street are valuable. As a resident, not born and bred, but having lived here long enough to know and love SE1 for what it was before the Millennium Bridge, the Tate Modern and all that existed, and as a parent to children who actually were born and bred here, I find it painful to watch so many great local traders, including close acquaintances of mine, being forced out of the area to be replaced by more and more faceless chains. What is happening to BM is not good. Whatever spin people put on it, and in whatever cheap ways they use to try and rubbish locals' passion for the area, it's not going to work.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 10.30pm
sbolt wrote:
This thread has gone on far too long.

Apologies, sbolt. O.K everybody, make your closing arguments, sbolt has spoken!

Incidentally, the piece regarding the chairman's missus is quite interestng. According to the chairman, the market has been in decline for a decade. That would mean that his missus was one of the trustees who oversaw this "decline"! A man who criticises his other half is a brave man indeed!
There are current trustees who were also on the board during said "decline". Surely they should be asked to fall upon their swords for allowing this to happen on their watch. No? Thought not.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 10.40pm
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, maybe mine differ from yours, so be it(edwardwoodward).

I shop at Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsbury, it is a choice I make. I also shop at MS and BM.

It is ashame you only chose to respond to one minute element of my posting.

Sorry must be slightly simple, but don't quite get what is meant by the last sentence posted by Edwardwoodward.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 10.46pm
sbolt wrote:
Sorry must be slightly simple, but don't quite get what is meant by the last sentence posted by Edwardwoodward.

I just won a bet because of that last statement.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 10.46pm
"Sorry must be slightly simple, but don't quite get what is meant by the last sentence posted by Edwardwoodward."

I just won a bet because of this response.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.00pm
"It is ashame you only chose to respond to one minute element of my posting."

Ah well, you know, I didn't. But you know that as well as I do. And that's my last response to any of your posts. I really don't want this thread to be closed because of the low levels we are reaching. I think, like everybody else, I would like a genuine response from BM that demonstrates the integrity and spine of those currently running it. The ball is very much in their court.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.01pm
Words words words... more words....

Please Sir George Nicholson give us more intimate details about the lives of the trustees!

It seems like people here want more! In line with the success of OK! magazine.. People go crazy for it.

I am fed up. It is becoming like talking about the fate of the National football team. Everybody seems to be the best (wannabe) manager to replace the present one. Hey..I could do that! Better.. Specially the previous manager who won a cup! Is that true Mr Nicholson that an ex good player will be a better manager than just a manager? Not sure!

We all know how it works.

Go to the markets (both) and speak to the traders. All of them. Not at busy times.

By the way, what about the free school that Wilkinson is financing or promoting.
Is that rubbish as well?
This is a genuine question I pose to more informed posters. No irony behind. I thought it was a great initiative and made me appreciate Mr Wilkinson. Night.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.13pm
HappyFeet wrote:
Words words words... more words....
Please Sir George Nicholson give us more intimate details about the lives of the trustees!

It seems like people here want more! In line with the success of OK! magazine.. People go crazy for it.

I am fed up. It is becoming like talking about the fate of the National football team. Everybody seems to be the best (wannabe) manager to replace the present one. Hey..I could do that! Better.. Specially the previous manager who won a cup! Is that true Mr Nicholson that an ex good player will be a better manager than just a manager? Not sure!

We all know how it works.

Go to the markets (both) and speak to the traders. All of them. Not at busy times.

By the way, what about the free school that Wilkinson is financing or promoting.
Is that rubbish as well?
This is a genuine question I pose to more informed posters. No irony behind. I thought it was a great initiative and made me appreciate Mr Wilkinson. Night.

Free schools will be state funded, will in time be able to make a profit and there are genuine fears that they will become educational establishments for the children of middle class, better off parents.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 11.19pm
Dear Happy Feet

There are probably people on here who like OK! magazine, although I doubt you will find any relevant threads on SE1. There is the occasional (not enough!)banter about football though, and more threads about local schools, which I have a massive interest myself. Maybe you should have a look at the history of topics on this forum, to understand the passion prevailing here, before you pass judgement on a community which you joined less than 2 months ago.
Thursday 16 June 2011 9.08am
philip crouch wrote:
several of them left because they couldn't make a go of it, but lots of new businesses have come on as well. i'm not sure what the net figure is. i shall find out. as to this dialogue about the bermondsey seven - crikey! i'm going to post what i think about that as soon as i can get my thoughts in order.

As an ocassional user of most of the markets, I would personally like to see all of them succeed. I cetainly think they all are welcome additions to the area. I also strongly feel that issues that disturb us (as local residents or traders) need to be discussed and this forum is just as good a place as any. However, I also agree with James that this needs to be constructive. No need to be rude.

Now, to elevate this thread back well above the levels of a slagging match, I for one would be very interested to hear more from Philip Crouch (Thanks for posting your earlier views Philip). There is after all, always more to things like this than meet the eye. And perhaps we could all come up with some valuable suggestions, and we can all live on happily ever after. My mum would be absolutely gutted if the market goes in decline, and she would certainly not be asking who did it, but would instead wonder whatever happened and what could be done to turn it around without any finger pointing.

rant over.
Current: 34 of 40

This thread has been closed
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions