London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 35 of 40
Thursday 16 June 2011 9.40am
A reminder of what our rules say about multiple usernames:

You may not post messages using more than one username (or persona) in the same thread. Those found to be doing this are liable to be 'named and shamed'.

(NB: Some users have separate forum accounts for use at home and work. So long as it is obvious that it is the same person then both accounts may be used to post to the same thread. You may not lend weight to your own arguments by posting under multiple names/personas.)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 June 2011 11.29am
Dear James,

Iíll start by saying that I am a great fan of your site but frankly your interview of Mr Wilkinson is in my opinion one of the weakest pieces you have written in a while. I am truly sorry.

A big part of your article is a summary of all the issues facing Borough Market today. While very informative, I think your interview fall short on a very capital point: How does the current BM management intend to address those issues? After reading your article I am still unable to clearly picture what is behind this so much talked about vision for Borough Market 2015. What is it exactly? How will it differ from today? How will it be implemented? I am still as much in the dark as before.

Then, I think Mr Wilkinson contradicts himself numerous times, for example when on one hand he says that he is adamant that wholesale will continue to play an important role in the future of the market when on the other hand his policies has lead to the departure of all the current major wholesalers.

I do believe this was a valid question to ask and I would have really appreciated if you could have pointed this paradox to him.

Then regarding the Borough Market Eight (BM8) and the relationships between management and the traders, some pretty serious allegations have been made which you do not feel inclined to investigate.

To summarize them, the BM8 argue that they have never received any written notification as to the reasons behind their exclusion from the market and that they have received only one week notice prior to the said exclusion. Based on my conversation with some trader I can confirm that traders have been told not to publicly criticise Borough Market or there will be trouble for them.

This is pretty serious stuff and raise equally serious questions about managementís handling of the current situation. Can you really manage a market based on fear of retaliation? How does this fit with Mr Wilkinson's wish to establish a dialogue with the traders? If those allegations are true then Mr Wilkinson is indeed lying.

This naturally leads me to my final point: "Integrity". It is a big word very much bandied around but I would really have liked to hear Mr Wilkinsonís definition of it? More specifically, what exactly did each of the BM8 do that lead him to question their integrity?

I cannot help but feel that the story is slowly being changed. My recollection was that the BM8 were said at first to have been excluded from the market simply for trading at Maltby. This is gradually shifting toward a questioning of their committment to BM.The story is getting spinned.

I do sincerly believe you handled him with kidís gloves.

To summarize my thoughts, I do not think Mr Wilkinson is mad or incompentent. He obviously has a plan which appears to involve the elimination of the BM8, the destruction of the wholesale market and the implentation of chains such as the Rabot Estate. It could even be a good plan but I really would like to know what it is and your article falls very much short of answering this question.

Best regards and please remember that if I did not value your work, I would not have spent time critizing it.
Thursday 16 June 2011 9.40pm
I think the article James wrote is very good.

It says just what the reality is. For some people it may result hard to digest as the drama and the crimes that BM is accused of, by many, are a fantasy or very diminished.

I think Mr Wilkinson has behaved like a gentleman by not even mentioning certain personal attacks that have recently taken place here and there. Mostly here.

His goal is clear. And also the hurdles to overcome, which are different now as compared to ten years ago. The task is not easy but the will is there. And that is good start.

Today an article by Mr Coyte appeared on the Guardian, which I believe is the most ridiculous thing a national paper could do. How it can happen that a trader has the opportunity to freely write against a London institution without the reply of the latter... Good publicity for the Guardian for sure. The saver of the people. Yeah of course..

Probably it is time to reconsider all things in a different format. More balanced and rational. The reality is there to be seen, is the King naked?

More stories will come out for sure, from traders still at BM, from Trustees and from normal people like us and those who have spoken far too long will regret it. Or not because the King is not naked as long as the children are asleep..
Thursday 16 June 2011 10.14pm
HappyFeet wrote:
I think the article James wrote is very good.
It says just what the reality is. For some people it may result hard to digest as the drama and the crimes that BM is accused of, by many, are a fantasy or very diminished.

I think Mr Wilkinson has behaved like a gentleman by not even mentioning certain personal attacks that have recently taken place here and there. Mostly here.

His goal is clear. And also the hurdles to overcome, which are different now as compared to ten years ago. The task is not easy but the will is there. And that is good start.

Today an article by Mr Coyte appeared on the Guardian, which I believe is the most ridiculous thing a national paper could do. How it can happen that a trader has the opportunity to freely write against a London institution without the reply of the latter... Good publicity for the Guardian for sure. The saver of the people. Yeah of course..

Probably it is time to reconsider all things in a different format. More balanced and rational. The reality is there to be seen, is the King naked?

More stories will come out for sure, from traders still at BM, from Trustees and from normal people like us and those who have spoken far too long will regret it. Or not because the King is not naked as long as the children are asleep..

Go away.
Bea
Friday 17 June 2011 12.46am
Why have you stopped this thread ? This is a very important issue being read by a lot of people and it is not over yet ... whatever happened to free speech ?
Friday 17 June 2011 7.23am
Free speech is protected. But "free from the control of the brain" speech is not.

I guess this is the role of a moderator. And the message for us.
Friday 17 June 2011 7.37am
If only there was a way to stop people with no brain posting...
Friday 17 June 2011 7.43am
HappyFeet wrote:
Free speech is protected. But "free from the control of the brain" speech is not.
I guess this is the role of a moderator. And the message for us.

For the sake of clarity, (and honesty) is this the 'girlfriend' posting, or orione, who resigned from the forum a few weeks ago, then immediately registered his 'girlfriend' (or did 'she' do it?) who has continued posting on all his favourite topics on his behalf - apparently.

I think we should be told.
Friday 17 June 2011 7.44am
We all have it I guess. Maybe this new thread will be more constructive and less offensive.
Friday 17 June 2011 7.48am
I just think it's tremendous that two such well matched people, with similar Intellects, have got together.
Current: 35 of 40

This thread has been closed
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions