London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 36 of 40
Friday 17 June 2011 8.58am
I still have not figured out what the vision for Borough Market 2015 mean. Anyone care to share some pointers with me?
Friday 17 June 2011 9.04am
Guys have a coffee and off to work... Janefs a sorry would be well accepted as I gave one to you when I had to, If you speak about the other thread about the junction works.

I will ask James to reactivate my account as well. If he can.

Yes, me and my GF have similar characters and we are both from different foreign countries.. So typos...

We write often together, like now, as we discuss things together at night or before going to work. The same we were doing from my inactive account. Is that against rules?
As I have to shoot off I wish you a good day.

Why don't we talk about Borough Market instead?
Friday 17 June 2011 9.06am
Sorry, but as a user of both BM and Maltby St I think the last thread had deteriorated considerably. There is no conflict between a few arches open 9-2 on a saturday right by where I live and a whole market a mile away. It just adds to the variety and choice available to real food shoppers in the area, and would be welcomed I'm sure by most SE1ers.

That there is a dispute between BM management and some traders has been well aired, but we seem to have attracted a series of long public relations "on message" postings of the type political parties use or the pro-Gadaffi postings on the BBC. I don't think these reflect local opinion or add anything to the debate. My suspiciion is that they are placed by a particular party to correct the public message going out on the forum. Hence I support closing the thread. there is nothing more to say......
Friday 17 June 2011 9.09am
Is sbolt your account as well?

Time to come clean.
Friday 17 June 2011 9.12am
This is what I understood.

More traders that work exclusively at BM or at least sell exclusive things while trading elsewhere. To make BM a unique place.

More attention and availability from the traders to the strategy that the Market is talking in place: extended hours, not only 9 to 5 three days a week.

More diversified food. Too much wholesale will not suit the crow that at moment is storming the Market.

Less hot food but more concentrated in areas and time of the day.

Establishing new dedicated spaces to organize these areas of competence. Once the TFL give back the space they confiscated to build the bridge that will be possible.

Charity: Create a school for traders and courses for the people in the new space that cannot be used as trading market.

I guess to improve the relations and transfer of information with traders and people.

Trying to establishing links with popular Market around the world like la Boqueria in Barcelona
Friday 17 June 2011 12.30pm
OK. We're going to have a final attempt at continuing this thread, but if continues to be more about people squabbling amongst themselves than sharing opinions and constructive ideas about how Borough Market could work better in future, then we'll draw a line under it and more on.

====

orione/HappyFeet: your 'orione' account has been reactivated but 'Walter-ego' remains deactivated. Please don't play silly games with multiple accounts.

Did you get my email yesterday?

Please be a little more tolerant of other people's views. The number of 'report to moderator' messages and emails I have received suggest that your forceful expression does cause offence to some people.

I am trying to rise above your melodramatic 'departure' from the forum a week or so ago [most people probably didn't see all the silly things that were posted at that time] - it would be easier to ban all your usernames and move on, but I do think you have some worthwhile things to say and I'd rather not fall out with you.

Please just try a bit harder not to wind people up with the way that you say things.

====

Please reply to this thread only if you've got something new and on-topic to say, and not to snipe at another poster.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 17 June 2011 12.50pm
James' interview with Mr Wilkinson included an observation that I find accurate: Serious grocery shoppers organise their Saturday morning to be at the market between 0900 and 1000. The meandering photographers show up later. True that, I said to myself as I read, I haven't been at the market after 1030 for months -- maybe years... To some extent, conflicts in use sort themselves out spontaneously, eh? It isn't fun trying to wriggle past tourists, so I go to Borough Market when tourists aren't there.

Note to self: This weekend, Borough Market early, do the needful; then toddle off to Maltby Street to play the non-photographing tourist, sampling the this and the that, and to decide where to shop in future.
Friday 17 June 2011 1.12pm
Wondercat wrote:
Serious grocery shoppers organise their Saturday morning to be at the market between 0900 and 1000.

I find I do the same if I want to go to go shopping, but when I have visitors around who just want to "experience" the market I go later. It's almost self-regulating that way. Personally, I would still like to see BM return to more of a market, and less of a tourist attraction, but that might financially not necessarily be viable?
Friday 17 June 2011 1.24pm
@wondercat:

that is why one of the issues that the market was trying to address (and was clashing with some traders) was the opening hours during the day and through the week.

Some traders would not like to extend the working time. Some others need few days to sort out the produces to than sell them at the market.

The hot food could be sold from noon on only, when the people working in the area or the tourists come to the market and leave the traders free to trade earlier than that.

As well, I have been told that the market is trying to establish an "in loco" facility to help traders to be there more days during the week.

I have been told that another strategy that the market thought about was sharing spaces so that different traders could alternate in different days but it looks like that they are territorial ( in the good sense), so this is not an easy solution.

I understand in Mr Wilkinson words (and I agree) that if some traders are at the same time at BM and Maltby street on a crucial day like Saturday selling the same stuff, it is not an added value for the Market, so they could diversify their products.
In this I see an attempt by Mr Wilkinson to create a "brand", on top of something unique.
I do not think this is a bad thing if it maintains the quality of the produce high and keeps a beautiful institution like Borough Market running.
It is simply one of the most amazing sites in London.
Probably the last along the river.
Friday 17 June 2011 1.46pm
Having now read the article it seems there is genuine goodwill from the top at BM and this for me has some how mitigated the shocking posts made by Ceri on behalf of BM ealier in the thread. Philip Crouch's post added some interesting background information which this thread has been lacking and I was totally unaware to.

From my understanding the plans have yet to be fully made public and we need to wait for a few more months to hear more.

Until then I still feel sad that I am better off avoiding BM and shopping elsewhere.
Current: 36 of 40

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions