London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 40
Monday 9 May 2011 4.07pm
if your produce is exactly as you describe it - and of the finest quality - if your loyalty is first with the food shoppers and community of Borough Market, no trader has anything to be concerned about.

....so why are we seeing traders like Cranberry take up to three or four pitches when they operate on train station plazas across the country, selling poor quality products in an agressive manner? and then traders (whose priority IS Borough Market, their home for decades) who sell a small number of products at what is essentially an 'open day' at their storage facility are served notice without appeal and slurred in the media?

What the management fail to realise is by forcing out these traders (who offer some of the highest quality produce - and only ONE sold hot food) they are forcing out the last of their customers who visited the market simply to shop for their groceries. A very, very sad thing.
Monday 9 May 2011 4.28pm
FYI - I saw Cranberry now has a selection of pre-packaged nuts in a BP service station on the motorway I was at on the weekend. Next to the Walkers Crisps. Class!

Actually i was actually quite impressed but it does make you think..
Are they really more vital to Borough Market than all those small traders just kicked out - who don't have prepackaged goods in most railway interchanges and now motorway service stations?? Why have they not been accused of disloyalty yet others have?
Monday 9 May 2011 5.11pm
I notice from the earlier list of those told to leave,a few are from the Jubilee Market.In my opinion that section of the market struggles anyway,and to remove stall holders only lessens the chances of those remaining.
Monday 9 May 2011 6.00pm
on another note and picking up on another contributor, to have been declining for 10 years would be quite a feat given that its only been going 13 years and arguably did peak around 2007/8. In fact there were issues with the previous management or should I say "previous regime" as we had them described in one of the many Borough market Newsletters, but the bulk of the ill will and corporitsation has started since the new incumbants started. There is a problem with tourists because tourists do not buy fresh produce like meat and veg and fresh produce is what primarily drives a market. Increasingly they move through the market like biblical locusts stripping clean the samples with no thought of buying. To some degree hot food plays a part in this but it is NOTHING compared to not having a clue how to manage this situation and having strategies in place to meet it head on.

I too would be delighted to see some response from BMM on here, if only to prove they CAN operate like a transparent and inclusive charity open to suggestions from the two communities they are there to serve, rather than the closed off, secretive and paranoid demagogue who's in house solicitor guards them from all dissent.
Monday 9 May 2011 8.46pm
"Some in this group of eight openly promote the out-dated line that Borough Market is a tourist trap and that our intelligent and discerning food shoppers should come to the new Maltby Street market instead."

Firstly I'd like to quickly point out the use of the word some. Didn't fancy doing the research I suppose?

Secondly, if the trustees were so concerned about the market being a tourist trap, why did they introduce a stall selling Borough Market aprons and bags? Well I can answer that myself, I quote straight from the market website...

"The stall is managed by the Bee Guardians of the Golden Company, building on the Marketís relationship with the Hackney social enterprise by giving their young apprentices the opportunity to develop their business and retail skills."

It seems that creating a business opportunity directly off the back of the market is perfectly acceptable and yet supporting the expansion of existing traders (and their young apprentices!) is completely unnaceptable.

But what I really can't get my head around is why traders would openly suggest to their customers to choose Maltby St as an alternative to Borough. As someone who as lost my job as a result of this pathetic spat, I can't understand why I would have actively lost myself custom. And why would I have wanted to distance myself from Borough, not only our main point of distribution but also somewhere I felt sincerely proud to be a part of?

To say I was dissapointed would be an understatement.
I wish the best of luck to the remaining traders in Jubilee Market.
Monday 9 May 2011 9.14pm
When my neighbour expressed an interest in becoming a trustee a couple of years ago he was told he lived too far away (Abbey St). Now you say the Chairman of Borough Market lives in Vienna? How does that work? When were the rules changed? Why?
Monday 9 May 2011 9.18pm
Maybe...they are deliberately running the whole place into the ground in order to sell the site for redevelopment. I can't see what else they can possibly hope to achieve.
Monday 9 May 2011 9.34pm
I make a point of not visiting BM any more.

To me, it's another tourist attraction like London Dungeon that I actively avoid.

Shame really, I used to enjoy shopping there - now it's rammed with burger noshing camera carrying non-shoppers.
Monday 9 May 2011 9.41pm
Who actually owns the plots themselves? BM, a landlord or the council?
Monday 9 May 2011 9.57pm
Wouldn't surprise me if the innumerable coffee/fast food/ sandwich chains that monopolise SE1 (just like every other street of London these days) made more money out of BM's tourist visitors than BM itself does... Well, I am definitely staying away now and direct my many acquaintances from outside London and abroad to Bermondsey Square and Maltby Street. The irony is that all those years ago, people asked me where they should go in London, and I was proud to tell them about the then practically unknown BM... How times change.
Current: 7 of 40

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions