London SE1 community website

Borough Market traders evicted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 40
Tuesday 10 May 2011 6.14am
Well whichever way they try to spin things its been a public relations disaster and they spent enough on that!
Tuesday 10 May 2011 6.39am
Does anyone remember a thread which has elicited SO much comment in such a short space of time? I dont. James?
Tuesday 10 May 2011 8.28am
To be honest I'm really disappointed that no-one from BM has tried to at least join in this thread and re-address the Balance a bit. It shows a massive lack of regard for engaging with the local community. Bad enough if you're a faceless corporation, but almost unforgivable when you are a charity, one of whom's primary remit is as a public amenity.

If anyone from BM is reading this - which i'm sure they are - two things:

1. The longer you take to at least say 'hello' on here the worse it looks for you and the more hypocritical it will make any statement of your objective of engaging with your once loyal local customers rather than pandering to tourists and corporations... Despite my moans on here i was once a fiercely loyal BM customer and would like to be again...

2. In the 2009 accounts you spent over 133,000 on PR. If you don't want to speak to us why aren't at least the PR people on it, because as a couple of people have commented, the longer you leave this the bigger a PR disaster it becomes. Your lack of response becomes just another part of the story.. You could pay me 133 a year and i'd be able to give you better advice than them!
Tuesday 10 May 2011 8.59am
Oh I'm sure there's lots of mutterings going on over glass topped tables and strategy flip charts somewhere, but the problem for them is they've lost the thrust of the argument and the carefully (read expensive) PR 'package' has come off the rails and I'd be surprised if they'd want to expose themselves to further criticism here, which will of course in itself invite such criticism! Tough job PR, especially when the narrative runs astray.
Tuesday 10 May 2011 9.24am
Wonder what Boris has to say about all this. He should be concerned that one of his best tourist attractions is being hammered.
Tuesday 10 May 2011 10.58am
If it's any consolation, according to the 2009 accounts (2010's were apparently filed with the Charity Commission in January but are not listed for some reason) the chair and, in fact, most of the trustees are due to retire from their posts during 2012, although that's still long enough to do a fair amount of damage in the meantime.

There's no diversity of experience at the top - you have a CEO who is the ex-Financial Controller and a Chairman with a background in corporate finance, risk management and private equity and of course railways. Says it all really.

Borough Market needs more appropriate leadership - a chair with passion, creativity, vision and influence and a CEO with more of the same but relevant experience, strong business and financial skills and a track record in building a unique and inspirational business. I have no personal axe to grind with the present incumbents having never met them but just don't see that at present.

What a sad state of affairs.
Tuesday 10 May 2011 11.53am
Yes it is almost certainly out of date. The last annual return submitted to the Charity Commission was 27 Jan 2010.

Their current annual return and trustee report is long overdue - it is due 10 months after the end of their financial year. They have around another month before they will receive a formal warning.

Bloggie wrote:
Truthmonkey-home wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:
Who are the trustees exactly?

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/SearchResultHandler.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1076940

THE VERY REVD COLIN SLEE
MS ANNIE COLEMAN
MS DOROTHY BATES
MS KAREN HORSLEY
DR CELIA PALMER MB BS MRCS LRCP AFOM DA
MS PATRICIA BROWN
MR PETER WILKINSON
MR DONALD HYSLOP
MR TIM LANG

Although I would not that they are late in filing, so this list may be out of date. Their website indicates a slightly difference list of people - http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/page/3051/Trustees
that must be very out of date as Karen told me that she was not a trustee anymore and that was over a year ago. it may be the same for some of hte other names.
Tuesday 10 May 2011 12.36pm
The bigger picture to the running of the market doesn't bode well for those of us local people who lament its tourism focus and high prices.

The economic climate at the moment is tough - people want to spend less; VAT is up; produce costs are up. Tourism in London is rising, and will probably continue to go up, as parts of the world become wealthy (there are more middle class in China than the entire US population!). Also London's population is rising by about 0.5% a year so has increased by about 400,000 since the market began doing retail.

All of this points to the need to focus on the tourist wallet, and for other markets to open up to serve the (rising population of) London who don't want the high prices.

In summary - perhaps we can't just turn the clock back.
Tuesday 10 May 2011 2.23pm
Bermondsey Square food market, maltby street and the real food market will become growing alternatives for indepedent traders and local shoppers and BM's future will fall to it being a land issue; which I think between the lines of other posts means being sold off to rail/developers. Such a shame as the structure/space is so pretty!

It reminds me of the redevelopment of spitalfieds - I used to love the old structure there and it has been replaced by faceless chains whilst the interesting indepedents have been pushed out to flourish wider across brick lane and beyond.

Incidentally where can I see the fall list of expelled traders? I cant find this.
Tuesday 10 May 2011 3.48pm
One word: Waitrose.
Current: 8 of 40

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions