London SE1 community website

Copper thieves - St Mary Magdalen Churchyard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 11 May 2011 2.49pm
Hi all,

This afternoon I had a call about some people that appeared to be trying to break into a property backing onto the Churchyard so I went to investigate - three people seemed to be going into the back of the rectory (not necessarily the building itself, but beyond its straw wall onto private property and taking a large amount of what appeared to be pipes. Unbeknownst to them, I made a video of them walking through the bushes before calling the police.

When the police arrived they had crossed over tower bridge road and I followed them with another local - they looked to me like drug addicts looking for scrap metal to sell. Anyway the police arrived at the park so we went back to get them; when we returned to where they were they had disappeared.

If anyone knows anyone who lives at the old rectory please make them aware of what happened; I buzzed but there was no answer.
Wednesday 11 May 2011 9.50pm
Shouldn't make light of it but seems like it's been going on for a while...

http://www.cartoonchurch.com/content/cc/lead-thieves/

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions