London SE1 community website

The Riley and Maurice families of London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 29 June 2011 10.42pm
Hi Robin, do keep us posted on anything else you find out - I'm a keen family historian myself, and it's fascinating to hear about local history.
Friday 1 July 2011 3.01am
Hi Auntie Pat,
Nice to hear from you - are you also from this line, it is actually my children's line but has proved to be very interesting.
It can be difficult to do history from New Zealand and these sites make life so much easier.
Keep in touch,
Robin Bishop
Friday 1 July 2011 11.05pm
No Maurices or Rileys in my tree, as far as I know, my family were the Luckens who lived in the Cherry Garden St area in the 1840s, The dad Melancthon (yeah, I know!) was an engine driver at a flour mill. He died in 1849 in the big cholera outbreak that claimed so many lives and led to the building of a decent sewage system in London.
Thursday 21 July 2011 11.55am
Hello Robin

I am a descendent of the Rileys of Abbey House, Bermondsey. My cousin does all the family research I will tell him about your quest and am sure that he will get in contact. He has a tremendous amount of information.

Alison Alderson
Friday 22 July 2011 12.56am
Alison,
Great to hear from you - this is exactly the response I have been hoping to receive.
Any Riley information is so welcome as they are such a prominent family.
He may also know of other connections of the family leading to the Maurice and Cromwell families.
Your reply has made all my Christmasses come at once.
Many thanks,
Robin
Wednesday 5 October 2011 11.58am
Robin,

Alison asked me to contribute. I know nothing about Lavinia Riley after her marriage, but here is a starter on her family. Her mother was the dau of Robert Rich a Bermondsey Roap maker. If you look at the Abbey House Estate plan on Ideal Homes website www.ideal-homes.org.uk you will see a Roap walk next to the property. It may have been Rich's. Lavinia was born in Bermondsey as were both her parents and her Riley siblings. There are memorials to her father, grand parents, great grandparents in the Church St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey.

Her Siblings included James Riley of Geelong (Australian pioneer) Google Count Strzelecki and James Riley, who was sent to Australia by Thomas Brook. An article in the Victorian Magazine (ie state of Victoria)"The Young James Riley" is well worth reading. It gives some info on Riley and Brook families and reproduces some letter written by James.
James had a large family in Australia and is buried in Geelong Western Cemetery. With a tall memorial including inscriptions to other members of his family.

Other siblings included Ann Christiana, Virginia who married Humphrey Allen in 1860

After her father died in a riding accident while hunting near Paris, her mother remarried Thomas Brook. The marriage was at Bushey in Hertfordshire. I do not know why she was there. They lived for a time at Leytonstone in Essex before moving to Pencraig Court, Marstow near Ross on Wye, Herefordshire. You can Google pictures of the building which was a Hotel until recently.

With Thomas Brook who died in 1850 and is buried in nearby Goodrich Church (there is/was a memorial inside)Sarah Ann had some more Children at least two sons.

The 1851 census for Marstow shows the widowed Sarah Ann and some of her children at Pencraig Court where she died June 11 1860

Directories for the 1860s show the property in the hands of Captain Thomas Brook, presumably the eldest son and heir of Thomas and Sarah Ann. The younger son shows up in Australia, but I cannot put my hand on the references at the moment.

Two of Joshua Healey Riley's sons also emigrated to Australia and had families

also google Sir Geoffrey Syme who married a descendant of Joshua Healey Riley Violet Addison Syme. Thomas Garnett of Oakwood hall married Fanny Riley the youngest dau of Joshua (Addison was Joshua's wife's maiden name (George Wilson Addison married Elizabeth Brook sister of Thomas etc the brothers of Meltham Mills)

In Google Books you can view full text of The History of the Township of Meltham by Rev Joseph Hughes. Has info on the Brook family

I do not know how wide you want to go on the Riley or Brook families so will leave it there for now.

regards,

John
Friday 7 October 2011 5.15am
John,
Many thanks for the wealth of information here, I will certainly enjoying adding it to my family history which I am collating for my grandchildren.
To also have photos and pictures is wonderful and i will google Pencraig Court and download it.
Many many thanks for writing to me,
Robin Bishop
Tauranga
New Zealand
Saturday 5 November 2011 12.38am
Robin

My wife's family is part of the Riley's and I was stuck looking back beyond James and Christiana so was very pleased when I googled Riley and Bermondsey to see your link.

Jennifer, my wife is the first cousin 4 x removed of Lavinia Riley - her great great great grandfather was Jeremiah Riley born in 1801 whose father we believe was James Riley who was married to Christiana King. We have photocopies of photos taken from portraits.

We are interested in details of the earlier Rileys - it would seem that the first Jeremiah you identify was the grandfather of the Jeremiah born in 1801.

We saw the church in Bermondsey with all the Riley monuments - very impressive.

Hoping to hear from you

Alastair
Saturday 5 November 2011 8.47pm
Alastair,
How nice to hear from you. Like you, this Riley line is of my ex-husband's line and therefore is the ancestry of my children, but I am as interested in it as if if was my own.
My records show that Lavinia, born in 1825 was the daughter of James Riley and Sarah Ann Rich.
Next generation back was James Riley (born 1764) and Christian King, nee Healey, as she was married to a Robert King before marrying James.
James's parents were Jeremiah Riley (1723 - 1800) and Mary Harford (born 1732) and they married in 1760 at Spitalfields.
An interesting twist is that Christian King was the daughter of Joshua Healey and Christian Hobson. After the death of Joshua, she then married Jeremiah Riley after the death of Mary in 1789.
It is very convoluted, but basically means that the father of James Riley married the mother of his wife Christian after their original spouses died. It was so convoluted that when Christian died she was bujried in Lewisham under the name of Healey.
I also have the parents of Christian Hobson who were Henry and Penelope Hobson.
I will also send you a PM as I have all this on a document and may be able to forward it to you.
Robin Bishop
New Zealand
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions