London SE1 community website

Bogus charity collector - river walkway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Thursday 13 May 2004 10.53pm
Yep, this guy was doing a similar 'charity appeal' last year on Shad Thames, near the Design Museum. We were approached by him in the morning, listened to what he had to say, but became a little uneasy when we realised that all of the addresses and signitures on the sponsorship form looked to be written in the same scribbled hand writing. I've seen this guy locally on a few occasions since...the last time, a few weeks ago he was trying to flog an old TV to passers by!
Saturday 15 May 2004 11.36pm
Wonder if he was the vagrant-looking guy who I saw taking an old TV from by the bin in my block?
Sunday 16 May 2004 9.59pm
Hi, unladylike Ms. Jo

He probably wasn't the vagrant looking guy as he normally looks quite clean and smartish - spose he could be though.

Havn't seen him around this weekend but I wasn't out at the times he usually hangs around.

Maybe he is off in another area fleecing some other peeps!
Sunday 16 May 2004 11.06pm
Hi Jo G - the more Jo's the better!

He obviously wasn't that guy then, the one I saw is one of the street drinkers that wanders round this area with his mates. Cant imagine him looking smart. I wonder how far he lugged the (very large and heavy) telly before discovering it didnt work?
Thursday 1 July 2004 12.18pm
He's out and about again. Last night he told me there was a fancy dress (men dressed as women - how hilarious, laughed at the very thought of it...) 24 hr tennis match kicking off on Guy Street park at midday today.

I'd describe him as looking like Steve Buscemi made up for the Thriller video

Sunday 4 July 2004 9.15pm
Ooooo he's back is he!

Well well, thats the same story he told me!

I just hope no one actually gives him any money and if i see him again i`m not gonna be responsible for what I do to the little scroat........gggrrrrrr

Jo
Monday 5 July 2004 9.45am
Dear All

Simon is quite right that I am the person in charge of fundraising for Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospitals and I have heard about this person but not officially. I shall go to the police station at Guy's shortly and see what can be done about this.

For those of you at South London Press reading this I intend to put a stop to this but it may not be easy.

Many thanks for your concerns.

Charlotte Langley
Joint Director of Fundraising for
Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospital NHS Trust and
Guy's and St. Thomas' Charitable Foundation
Wednesday 21 July 2004 1.03pm
Saw him last night outside The Market Porter - trademark blue fleece, clipboard and pen in hand, impressive patter - "fancy dress tennis match for Guys & St Thomas" ... told him where to stick it (thanks to london-se1) ...

left me with more money for Sussex :P

Mickey
Wednesday 21 July 2004 1.09pm
Dear All

The Police at Guy's have been searching for him so I will go and tell them about this incident.

Thanks for your continuing concern.

Yours ever

Wednesday 21 July 2004 1.09pm
At the risk of pointing out the obvious - I guess it's called 'obtaining money by deception' ...? If someone spots him would it be better to decline politely, then go and call the police - or does everyone assume that they would not be interested in having a chat with him?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions