London SE1 community website

Bogus charity collector - river walkway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Wednesday 21 July 2004 12.24pm
Jane, I completely agree - better that he's caught and prosecuted, rather than decides to move onto another area because too many people know about him here.

Charlotte, Is there a way that people can contact the specific people at Guys who are dealing with this, if we see him ?
Wednesday 21 July 2004 1.26pm
Dear All

I have just been to the police at Guy's and they have asked that when he is next sighted could somebody provide me with a physical description. I can be contacted on 020 7188 7711 and by email [email protected]

Many thanks.

Charlotte
Wednesday 21 July 2004 1.31pm
White. 5'8 with weaseley face, bug eyes and bad teeth. Slight build.
Wednesday 21 July 2004 1.36pm
and people give this guy money?? Does he have a stripey top and a mask too?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 July 2004 1.36pm by blake.
Wednesday 21 July 2004 5.57pm
Looks just like Steve Buscemi (http://tinyurl.com/6xjjk) only slightly more creepy :P

Thin, pale skin, longish lank greasy brown hair (not past the collar) - slicked straight back., 5,8" / 5,9", yellow teeth, relatively well spoken, dark blue fleece, dark trousers, pen + clipboard !

MickeyP

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 July 2004 6.02pm by mickeypearce.
Wednesday 21 July 2004 7.02pm
Perfect descriptions of the little scroat! Can`t top that

I can`t believe he is still around here, he must think we are all really stupid, or he thinks only tourists stop.

If i spot him i`ll take a picture with my mobile then we have the perfect description!

Thanks for all your help Charlotte.

This man obviously does not know the power of www.london-se1.co.uk!!!!
Thursday 22 July 2004 7.37am
Dear All

I passed the information to the police at Guy's yesterday and will pass on this information to them some time today.

Kind regards.

Charlotte
Sunday 1 August 2004 12.54pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1119

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
mac
Monday 2 August 2004 2.22pm
I was having a drink about 4.30 on saturday afternoon outside the Anchor and Hope on The Cut and we were approached by this character claiming to be raising money for a charity tennis match. If I hadn't read the thread on this website we may well have given him money. He was quite friendly and chatty though his clipboard and sponsor sheets looked very tatty. He sloped off to the next table and I warned them not to give him any money and he went off. However, who knows other people (especially visitors or tourists) he accosted. Be warned, he is still at large and seems to be moving further afield....
Monday 2 August 2004 3.42pm
G00se Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I lived in Manchester, there was a scam
> artist who worked a patch near the GMex. His
> "performance" went along the lines of him running
> up, breathless and car keys in hand. Police had
> just towed his car and he wanted a couple of quid
> to taxi over to the pound. He was always quite
> smart, certainly not scruffy and always looked the
> part.

There is a guy who I've seen several times on Shad Thames... scruffy looking guy with grey hair and a slight hint of an Irish accent. His story is similar, out of breath, his car has broken down and he needs a couple of quid to get some petrol so that he can get to the hospital to visit his wife.

First time I was a bit drunk and felt sorry for the old boy so he got a couple of quid... second time he asked me about 2 months later I told him to b*gger off. I have seen him lingering around a few times since.

Be warned!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions