London SE1 community website

Bogus charity collector - river walkway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Monday 2 August 2004 6.43pm
how old is the guy with the clipboard?

just struck me it could be the same bloke.

there's another romper suit suspect as well, but not seen him for ages....

(sorry about the typo below)

Re: Dodgy Scam Artist working around the Globe/Tate

Al | Monday 9 February 2004 12:33PM

Well well. Funny thing happened to me on Saturday night.

I was sitting in my car - parked considerately - at the back of the National Theatre waiting for the Mrs at 6.30pm when who should trot into view - none other than Captain Panic. Undercover, not sporting his trademark epaulets, but unmistakeable nevertheless. He jogged past the car and I watched him skulk around the back for a while - strangely for man of his trade seemingly unaware of the function affored by the bits of silver glass on each side of a motor vehicle - then, prepared, he trotted back towards me.

Unusually not being in a hurry, and aware of the appropriateness of his choice of venue, I thought I would give him the opportunity to perform.

He indicated he wanted to talk to me so I opened the door and oh dear, all was not well. Not at all. With arms waving, his bunch of keys in one hand and what looked like a new mobile with a blue LCD screen in the other and the usual breathless Irish brogue and anxiety-ridden delivery he warmed quickly to his theme.

He's clearly suffered from tourist timewasters, got wise to that, and now asks if you can speak English. Readers might want to prepare a "Nyet" option if they encounter him this summer. He doesn't strike me as the type that will cross-examine and ask how you understood the question.

Anyway, his wife had gone into labour four weeks early and had been transferred from St Thomas' to a second hospital (sounded suspiciously like St Paul's) and had then been transferred to St Benedict's. But he wasn't asking me to take him there. No. Definitely not asking that. (Which was just as well as I have no idea where St Benedict's is, and personally I would have tried the maternity unit at Guy's but then what do I know). So on it went.

So although he didn't need a lift he did need my help. And with a quick evaluating glance at the car he informed me needed four quid to get to St Benedict's. Of course he would give me his keys, his jacket, or anything - quite why wasn't established but I wondered if the phone might be an upgrade for me - and in summary what was required was Four Quid. St Benedict's.

Ouch and sharp intake of breath, prices have gone up, and he waited for my response.

Ignoring the obvious question of why he didn't drive there when he was clearly holding a car key in his right hand, I observed affably, "you usually ask me for money to park your coach".

Well the coach had obviously been the source of some frustration because he immediately span on his heels, exclaiming f****** coach, and off he trotted in the general direction of St Thomas' - just as the Mrs swung into view - leaving me to ponder the issues raised.

Did he perhaps need the four quid for diesel for his coach? And where can you buy diesel for coaches in SE1 anyway? How far can a coach go on four quid's worth? Where is St Benedict's - sounds more like a cider the SE1'ers might drink? Can he draw? Has he got 375,000 in his bank account as well?

Another South Bank mystery!
mac
Tuesday 3 August 2004 8.29am
The person I saw outside the Anchor & Hope on Saturday afternoon fits the exact description given by Jo Green and MickeyPearce in earlier posts; thin, slicked back greasy hair, spotty/bad skin and quite well spoken. It must be the same person. One of the sponsor forms on his clipboard had the Children in Need teddy (the one with the eye patch) and quite a few signatures but is probably years old.
Wednesday 4 August 2004 5.53am
Charlotte,

In addition to the message just sent to you, and for the benefit of all those that read this. I am a police officer based at Walworth Police Station and have dealt with this person last year for exactly the same offence (yes it is deception). The circumstances were the same and the event (the tennis match) was the same as well, and believe it or not the clothing is the same..! He obviously hasn't learned the error of his ways. I will contact CID at Walworth Police Station and hopefully put an end to the matter...!!
Wednesday 4 August 2004 8.07am
Dear Member of the Police Force at Walworth Police Station

Thank you for the message posted at 6.53 am this morning. The person dealing with the matter at Walworth CID is Darren Jones. He is currently on nights. I am pleased that you will take this up with him and help him to put an end to the matter as I am sure all members of the London SE 1 Forum will be.

Kind regards.

Charlotte Langley
at Guy's and St. Thomas'
Thursday 5 August 2004 5.40am
For the benefit of everyone on the Forum, Walworth CID would like to hear from anyone who has been a victim of the bogus charity collector ie. they have actually handed over some money for the various 'schemes' .... It would certainly help in the investigation.
Thursday 5 August 2004 7.51am
Dear All

I got a call from a DC Denzil Lynch from the Lambeth Public Protection Unit about a guy called Royston Steer who is going round saying he is collecting for children with Leukemia. DC Lynch wishes us all to be on our guard about this chap too. He comes disguised as a clown.

All the best to all Forum users.

Kind regards.

Charlotte Langley
at Guy's and St. Thomas'
Thursday 5 August 2004 8.43pm
Oh dear, they are multiplying!
I'll be on the look out for clowns as well now!
I never actually handed over money so I am afraid I can`t be classed as a victim.

Keep up the good work charlotte and London cyclist!

Jo
Monday 13 December 2004 5.28pm
Dear SE1 Forum readers

Somebody called me from The Tate Modern today to say that somebody was collecting again bogusly for Guy's and St. Thomas'.

I shall take the matter up with my colleagues in the police but if you see anybody collecting for Guy's and St. Thomas' please ask to see an id card with our name on it.

Thanks.

Charlotte Langley
Guy's and St. Thomas'
Monday 13 December 2004 9.58pm
...collecting again "bogusly" ... what a wonderful word. Absolutely slithers off the tongue - and contains the words 'bog' and 'sly' to boot!
Just imagine what the chatter board would do with that.
Jim
Monday 13 December 2004 10.20pm
He was out again last night!!
Walking home about 7 - 7:30 he was under tower bridge, outside the tower bridge experience engine rooms, leading onto shad thames.
We challenged him,and when we siad we had contacted guys and knew him to be bogus, he half heartedly called after us, saying we must have contacted the wrong department, before moving onto his next victim.
Its alwayd baffled me that he has such an awful memory.
I would have thought that h ewould remember someone who looks as distinctive as me (short, fat, big blonde mohican) who regularly shouts at you when you try to get money out of them and generally chases you down the road!!

Jo
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions