London SE1 community website

Bogus charity collector - river walkway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Tuesday 14 December 2004 9.11am
Dear Jo

Thanks for logging this. I did not manage to make contact with the police yesterday but will do so today.

Kind regards to you and all concerned members of the SE1 Forum.

Charlotte Langley
Guy's and St. Thomas'
Wednesday 15 December 2004 6.05pm
Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your reply and I am really, really pleased that you are doing something about this.

Everytime I see him I am always annoyed that it is never when I have my camera or am able to get a good mobile phone picture of him.

I would be more than happy to help in any of your investigation.

Jo

Thursday 16 December 2004 10.56am
Dear Jo

Thanks. I shall hopefully speak to somebody at Walworth today. The original policeman I spoke to in CID is not returning my calls. Need to speak to the Beat Officer.

Kind regards.

Charlotte Langley

Guy's and St. Thomas'
Tuesday 4 January 2005 10.56am
He was out again on New Year's day, at about 18:00. Same person, fitting the description given in this forum. He claimed to be collecting for Guy's.

I called the police immediately afterwards, but don't imagine that anything was done about it.
Tuesday 4 January 2005 10.59am
Dear SE1 Forum readers

I will have another go contacting the Southwark beat officer. He has not returned my pre Christmas calls!

Kind regards.

Charlotte Langley

Guy's and St. Thomas'
Tuesday 4 January 2005 10.32pm
why the exclamation mark?
Monday 10 January 2005 3.56pm
In addition to Bogus guy, I've witness on a number of occassions over the past 2 yrs, some chav like chick, about 30yrs collecting for some random children's charity on borough high st. I've seen her in the local bars quite a few times. Once fulfilled with her 'donations', she leaves the venue and hops into a fat Mercedes (or something large and flash) driven by some middle aged guy, and onto next venue. She always approaches the guys and stays clear of the ladies. She doesn't say much, just rattles the bucket and smiles coyly. She's dressed in tight fitting jeans, kaki short jacket with fur lining around the hood and blonde dyed hair with visible roots.

I've also seen her in the City once. The car drops her off, circles the block, she does a few pubs, then waits for the car to return and pick her up.

anyone else seen this mendacious character?

Brid

Monday 17 January 2005 3.33pm
In addition to Bogus guy, I've witness on a number of occassions over the past 2 yrs, some chav like chick, about 30yrs collecting for some random children's charity on borough high st. I've seen her in the local bars quite a few times. Once fulfilled with her 'donations', she leaves the venue and hops into a fat Mercedes (or something large and flash) driven by some middle aged guy, and onto next venue. She always approaches the guys and stays clear of the ladies. She doesn't say much, just rattles the bucket and smiles coyly. She's dressed in tight fitting jeans, kaki short jacket with fur lining around the hood and blonde dyed hair with visible roots.

I've also seen her in the City once. The car drops her off, circles the block, she does a few pubs, then waits for the car to return and pick her up.

anyone else seen this mendacious character?

Brid
Tuesday 31 May 2005 12.14am
Hi everyone,

I know this thread has been inactive for a while now, but the guy himself certainly hasn`t!
Friday evening, as I`m sure you will all remember, was extremely hot and there were literally hundreds of people lining the Queens Walk, from London Bridge to Tower Bridge.
I met with friends at around 5pm and we sat on the wall by the Belfast drinking lovely Pimms until about 11pm, during which time we had 2 extremely loud confrontational exchanges with the little scroat!
Around 5:30, a rather unremarkable 30ish blonde lady went past, shaking a tin for breast cancer, but as we had just handed all our change over for more Pimms we couldn`t donate.
I also noticed that I had never seen or heard of the charity on her tin, but didn`t think much of it.
Then, around 6pm I see the man in question working his way along the crowd, easilly getting cash from the group next to us.
I point him out to my friends and briefly relay the story, then my friend reveals that one night she gave him 10!
At that moment my other half returns from the bar, and I point out the 'collector', fortified by Pimms and sun burn, he marches up to him and tells him to leave, shouting loudly to everyone around,
DO NOT GIVE THIS MAN ANY MONEY!!!!!!
HE IS NOT FROM GUY`S HOSPITAL OR ANY CHARITY!!!!
HE IS BOGUS!!!! etc,
the guy immediatly scarpers to rounds of applause from a few people!
We settle back down to more Pimms.
Then around 10pm we have moved to a bench directly opposite where we were sitting before and we see him again!!!!
Fuelled by even more Pimms off the boyfriend goes again, chasing the guy away shouting very, very loudly in his best pompous voice DO NOT GIVE THIS MAN MONEY!!! etc etc etc and the man flees in a torrade of 4 letter abuse.
Boyf chases him for a few yards to make sure everyone hears, and to his surprise the guy stops by the blonde charity collector from before and says "we`d better go" and they both promptly leg it.

So it seems he has an accomplice, but I had never seen her before.

Boyf returns to more applause and a lovely lady comes over and thanks him for stopping the man, as she was just getting her purse out to give him money. We tell her a bit of the history and she vows to spread the word
Something has to be done.
I attempted to photograph him with my mobile, but in the kerfuffle got confused and just ended up with a grainy video of him.
On Friday he was wearing a baseball cap and a Mustard yellow shirt, quite smart.
What can we do to get rid of him for good?
I would of liked to have got a clear picture of him and pasted them around the area.
It just makes me sooooooo angry that peole think they are giving to a worthy cause, instead they are just funding a criminal.

Hope he didn`t earn too much on Friday, but i`m sure he was back after we left.

Regards

Jo
Tuesday 31 May 2005 7.39am
Dear Jo and all members of the SE1 Forum

How distressing to hear that he is out and about again. If you could call Walworth Police Station and speak to the Southwark Beat Officer and relay this story to him I'd be grateful.

Kind regards.

Charlotte Langley
Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospitals
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions