London SE1 community website

Bogus charity collector - river walkway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Tuesday 31 May 2005 6.40pm
Will do charlotte.

Jo
Wednesday 1 June 2005 9.32pm
Phoned the station last night and asked for the beat officer. I was put through to an office and left a message on an answer machine but no one has got back to me......yet.
I`ll leave it till tomorrow evening then try again.

Jo
Thursday 2 June 2005 8.37am
Dear Jo

I know how frustrating this as I have been around the houses with it in the same way you are. Please keep persisting. I have fed it in to the system through the Community Wardens who have an office on the Guy's Hospital site.

Kind regards.

Charlotte Langley

Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospitals
Thursday 2 June 2005 6.28pm
Still no reply, will pester some more

Jo
Thursday 2 June 2005 10.29pm
This scamster... funny, but the people here must be wise.

Someone take his picture, stick it on a stick and walk up and down the s bank to alert non users of this forum. It's little point bleating about him here..........
by the way, my car..............
xxxxxxxxxx
ps. i love this site
Friday 3 June 2005 4.37pm
Getting no joy from Walworth police station at all.

3 calls now, no one available.

Now I know why people don`t bother trying to be 'good citizens' and report these things.

Jo
Wednesday 8 June 2005 11.45am
Would it be wrong to snap his photo and put it online here as well as adress it to the Police?
Thursday 9 June 2005 4.25pm
absolutely not - go for it!
Saturday 11 June 2005 9.10pm
tried snappig him couple of times, but never seem to be able to be in the right place at the right time, I hope you have more luck than me Softhands!

Jo
Tuesday 14 June 2005 7.06pm
Hi

Apologies for 'butting in' but I often volunteer as a charity collector and I just wanted to ask you not to tar us all with the same brush - it is a very tough job and brings in lots of money for the charity.

The case you are discussing is clearly bogus, which is very distressing, but i realised while reading the comments that it is hard for people to distingish between the real and bogus collectors on a general basis. Legally anyone collecting (or claiming to collect) for Charity in the UK must carry a copy of a "Street Collections Permit" it is issued by the local council and specifies where, when and for whom they are collecting. You are perfectly entitled (and recommended) to ask to see this before donating - and if they refuse please do call the police!

Sorry if that is off-topic and not of interest to most, but felt i had to add...

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions