London SE1 community website

Union Street/Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Monday 23 May 2011 11.02am
Mmm. Or does that explain the "Cyclists dismount" signs I saw the othr day at the start/end of the cycle path?
Monday 23 May 2011 11.28am
I like to use that cycle route a lot and the building is inconvenient and tricky to navigate. But the pavement cycle lane is also not obvious to pedestrians who step into it. In the snow I came off when I applied my brakes when a women stepped into the cycle lane (OK, not hard to do in that weather), last week I had to drop into the road to avoid a 3-year-old who suddenly decided to change sides on her dad (presumably..) and I have often called to warn pedestrians including people crossing the road. In my humble opinion it would be much better to put it at road level as a contraflow.
Incidentally, while on this route, what's the best way through Lower Marsh, is it up past the side of the station? I wish a cycle highway could be built right across to Westminster Bridge.
Thursday 26 May 2011 11.58am
Judging by the amount of cyclists driving across Flat Iron Square this morning it doesn't seem to matter one iota whether there is a cycle lane or not.
Thursday 26 May 2011 12.22pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Judging by the amount of cyclists driving across Flat Iron Square this morning it doesn't seem to matter one iota whether there is a cycle lane or not.
Looking at the signage around there it is now a shared space for cyclists/pedestrians. It would be a bizarre move to just end the cycle lane that comes down from BHS and then re-appears on the other side of SBR.
Thursday 26 May 2011 12.30pm
The sign (that's been there for several days now) is the one for when there is a segregated shared space though. Maybe it will be marked.
http://lbbd.cyclemaps.org.uk/signs/
However it's quite clear pedestrians are as blind to theses signs as they are to cycle lanes, so it doesn't matter which is there.
Thursday 26 May 2011 1.04pm
If anyone appeared to be blind (and deaf for that matter), it was those cyclists this morning. Unfortunately, with the kind of offensive language they seem to think they're entitled to when endangering other people's lives, they weren't mute as well.
Thursday 26 May 2011 1.16pm
If there isn't a pile of bouquets and photos commemorating the loss of a cyclist soon I'll be amazed. I walk through Flat Iron Square every morning and night on my way to and from work, and I've yet to see one cyclist slow down or look as they cross Ayres Street.

The new layout is a tragedy in waiting.
Thursday 26 May 2011 5.12pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
If anyone appeared to be blind (and deaf for that matter), it was those cyclists this morning. Unfortunately, with the kind of offensive language they seem to think they're entitled to when endangering other people's lives, they weren't mute as well.
Lets not turn this into a petty squabble about the wrongs of cyclists and pedestrians.
My bell isn't mute, but it seems to do little good.
Thursday 26 May 2011 7.56pm
.[/quote]Lets not turn this into a petty squabble about the wrongs of cyclists and pedestrians.
[/quote]

That'd be a bit difficult anyway, as I am both a pedestrian and a cyclist. I was referring specifically to the ladies and gentlemen this morning. Just because I regularly confront local teenagers vandalising my estate it doesn't mean I have a dislike all teenagers. I am no Tim Purcell, but the cyclist/pedestrian/lorry issue is becoming a bigger problem by the day.
Thursday 26 May 2011 8.39pm
On bike or feet I aim to avoid pedestrians, cars, lampposts, etc and usually find that shouting or smiling at them have same effect, i.e. none, but the latter usually feels better, at least to me. My wish - clearly marked cycle lanes on a different level which pedestrians can't wander into without realizing it. Oh yes, and going all the way from Union St to Westminster please.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions