London SE1 community website

Union Street/Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Wednesday 1 June 2011 2.08pm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5786417738/in/photostream

It may just be given early days that the traffic is caught unawares and reacts in the moment and in a couple of weeks it'll settle down, but agree the left turning indicator on SBR will cause confusion. The trick will be for the businesses to make best use of the open space. Coordination between works on this might help resolve issues before they arise though.
Zoe
Tuesday 7 June 2011 8.00am
I'm left slightly amazed that, despite the junction of Union Street and Southwark Bridge Road having been dug up three times now, the junction has still not been fixed and there is a large lake everytime it rains. The water is so deep it's difficult to cycle through (and people drive too fast through that junction, as the lights aren't green long enough).

I was hoping that the annoying inconvenience of the road being closed so often would at least lead to them fixing a problem that should have been picked up on when the road table was first built.

Grrrrrr!

Oh well, I can take heart that we live in the UK where it never rains.
Friday 10 June 2011 12.15pm
Seems we might have been a tad premature in our criticisms, I see that '... seating, lighting and a new canopy for the Island Cafe' are still to be added, according to the Dbrief Quarterly magazine.
Tuesday 14 June 2011 4.41pm
I still cant bring myself to eat in a place that was once a public convenience no matter how you dress it up and by the sounds of an earlier post they must be using drain water for the hot drinks.
And no a cycle lane should never be on or part of a pedestrian pavement and especially not in front of shop fronts that have a good volume of custom......madness
Wednesday 15 June 2011 12.18pm
Delmonte wrote:
And no a cycle lane should never be on or part of a pedestrian pavement and especially not in front of shop fronts that have a good volume of custom......madness

Are you one of these people with eyes and ears that are unable to detect people on metal things with wheels? I agree you shouldn't be allowed to share a cycle lane with people on cycles.

Aside from my snide response, I do agree entirely that having that cycle lane running directly along the front of shops on Union Street was an accident waiting to happen, and is much more sensible to make that entire square a shared-priority space.

Having dedicated cycle lanes/pavements only breeds 'ownership' and hostility with cyclists getting frustrated with pedestrians invading 'their' space and vice-versa. A shared space naturally encourages both parties to be a little more accepting and considerate.

Take a look at DfTs 'Manual for Streets', from 2007. Shared space with less demarkation is generally a much safer and less ugly way to organise streetscapes.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 12.48pm
The shared spaces across London seem to work well. They're certainly better than having a clear cycle lane on the same level as the pavement.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 1.21pm
Am a bit sceptical about the space sharing, bu what should be indicated much clearer is who is allowed to share the space... On Sunday came out of Union Street on the opposite side of SBR, and without hestation drove across the square and towards BHS. There is a clear sign there that says no cars / motorbikes. Doesn't bode well.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 1.46pm
beetroot wrote:
The shared spaces across London seem to work well. They're certainly better than having a clear cycle lane on the same level as the pavement.
Completely agree. Cyclists treat it as their area (perhaps correctly) and so bomb down it at speed. Pedestrians, although they should, often don't even notice the lane and don't look, so step out in front of the cyclist who is not cycling at a safe speed for the environment, even though, by rights, they are not doing anything 'wrong'.
A shared space at least encourages cyclists to slow down as they don't 'own' the area.
Saturday 18 June 2011 2.10pm
With the work on the square now finished, I thought I'd enjoy a stroll down there to "assess" the completed layout this morning, only to be welcomed by a puddle of water, a stinking generator, and the path obstructed by 2 contractor's vans. Not even the cheerful pink/purple better bankside chairs could cheer me up. Who is project managing this borough? They should go back to school.
Saturday 18 June 2011 3.09pm
No! How big is the puddle? That's all we need, another bloody Tabard.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions