London SE1 community website

Union Street/Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Saturday 18 June 2011 3.15pm
beetroot wrote:
No! How big is the puddle? That's all we need, another bloody Tabard.

David Walliams could probably swim it, I chose to walk around it.
Saturday 18 June 2011 3.44pm
Official opening next Friday:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/11085

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 19 June 2011 7.57pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Seems we might have been a tad premature in our criticisms, I see that '... seating, lighting and a new canopy for the Island Cafe' are still to be added, according to the Dbrief Quarterly magazine.

Well... I'm now even less on the fence about this than when I originally posted. *Five months* of work - and how much money - and what exactly would you describe the improvements as consisting of? It amounts to better paving and some wooden posts. I'm not arguing it hasn't improved, just that surely a similar improvement could have been made in a month or two. No amount of forthcoming lighting, seating etc. changes that argument. I imagine there'll be a few bemused faces at the opening ceremony. Look - a perfectly usable public space where once we had a, er, perfectly usable public space. Celebrate, ingrate.

BTW. A little birdie tells me there's no money left in the pot for 'extras'. If that's true, it's truly shocking.
Friday 24 June 2011 7.47pm
I think it's an improvement. During the week it will probably continue to cause pedestrian / cyclist confrontations, but during the weekends it might actually transform into a nice addition to the neighbourhood.
Saturday 25 June 2011 1.55pm
Trouble is, what surrounds the square? Dereliction down one side, a decentish boozer at the pointy end, two less than imaginative caffs plus two high-priced convenience stores scattered around the rest.

I'd say the real measure of success will be in the businesses rather than the flagstones or who has right of way where. A better offering would come to generate more revenue for the council and ultimately even repay the investment.
Saturday 25 June 2011 2.01pm
Think Flat Iron Square looks great.
Why cant whoever designed this space sort the area By St George the Martyr Church out.
Saturday 25 June 2011 2.30pm
Has the puddle problem been solved?
Saturday 25 June 2011 4.30pm
Eileen wrote:
beetroot wrote:
Yep. I saw a car driving over it yesterday.

I think I am right in saying that when the traffic lights on SBR alongside the Island Cafe are green, there is an arrow indicating forward and another indicating left which takes them immediately onto the new flat area, so perhaps those who are not familiar with this new layout who then turn left, they have no option to carry on across the square. I don't think the traffic lights have been altered since you could enter Flat Iron Square from the two roads that meet at Union Street (outside the Rose & Crown).

The traffic lights still indicate a left turn arrow - on Thursday I saw a car then a taxi both turn left one after the other, the taxi had to drive to the left of the car to avoid going into the back of the car which stopped abruptly. Then they both had to turn round in the small area before the wooden posts, not an easy maneuver!
Saturday 25 June 2011 4.40pm
I've just emailed Southwark Council about it, Eileen. Let's see what happens...
Saturday 25 June 2011 6.07pm
With the seating it now makes much more sense, though I'd like to see slightly more substantial chairs and tables than the BB ones as they're not especially comfortable.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions