London SE1 community website

Union Street/Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Thursday 30 June 2011 1.48pm
Bit of green would be nice too. Isn't this area within the "Bankside Urban Forest" initiative (if it is still going)?

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 10 January 2012 7.02pm
Walking through Flat Iron Square today, as I have hundreds of times before, this morning I actually noticed the large green thick metal post next to the tree. Looking on previous photos, it looks like it was painted black originally.
It is a thick pole that ends with a large circumference at height. I was wondering if it was originally an old lamp post, or could it be a vent pipe. If it is a vent pipe, what is it venting? Any idea’s?
Tuesday 10 January 2012 8.23pm
Could it be a stench pipe?
Tuesday 10 January 2012 8.30pm
Yes, it's the venting pipe for the victorian sewers.
Tuesday 10 January 2012 10.26pm
This one at the junction of Southwark Street and Borough High Street was ever so fancy.
Thursday 22 March 2012 1.27pm
Confrontation and danger continues with the confusing "on pavement" cycle lane. As I cycled along yesterday, a very angry cyclist who had been going quite fast was stopping abruptly and heading back to a woman, screaming abusively that he was not cycling "on the pavement" and demanding an apology. He even pushed her aggressively and had to jump back onto his bike to escape the other pedestrians who got angry with his outrageous behaviour. Why do some cyclists think they are animals? It will only lead to more calls to register and tax cyclists like other road users.
This cycle lane is a serious accident waiting to happen (I have had a small one trying to dodge a pedestrian in the ice in 2010) and the council should URGENTLY redo the lane to make it clearer or separate from the pavement - why not a simple painted contraflow on the road?
Thursday 22 March 2012 1.37pm
Tom I couldn't agree more,I walk that route everyday and find it mildly amusing that pedestrians seem drawn to the cycle path bit of the pavement,me being one of them!
The cycle path needs seperating from the pedestrian pavement asap,as you say,it's an accident waiting to happen.
Thursday 22 March 2012 3.04pm
I cycle on that path most days and I'm quite happy to just go more cautiously and expect pedestrians from time to time to not see that it's for bikes. They almost always realise their mistake. Clearer marking would be good or just the word SLOW written under the bike symbols.
Thursday 22 March 2012 4.40pm
Are we talking about the distinctly seperate section (marked as such) on Union Street, or the shared space that is flat iron square?

We need more of these shared spaces, as opposed to seperate lanes in order to encourage respect and responsible behaviour from people on bikes and people on foot (not cyclists and pedestrians).

It is ignorant people, not poor design, that causes the problem.
Thursday 22 March 2012 4.46pm
Guy's street wrote:
Are we talking about the distinctly seperate section (marked as such) on Union Street, or the shared space that is flat iron square?
We need more of these shared spaces, as opposed to seperate lanes in order to encourage respect and responsible behaviour from people on bikes and people on foot (not cyclists and pedestrians).

It is ignorant people, not poor design, that causes the problem.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions