London SE1 community website

Union Street/Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8
Thursday 22 March 2012 5.25pm
boroughonian wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
Are we talking about the distinctly seperate section (marked as such) on Union Street, or the shared space that is flat iron square?
We need more of these shared spaces, as opposed to seperate lanes in order to encourage respect and responsible behaviour from people on bikes and people on foot (not cyclists and pedestrians).

It is ignorant people, not poor design, that causes the problem.

I wasn't meaning ignorant people in an offensive way, if that's what you're getting at - sorry if it came across that way.

What I mean, is that generally, a lot of people both on foot and on bike, are ignorant towards each others presence, and that their riding too fast in a busy area, or absent-mindedly wandering into a cycle path (or the road, for that matter) may have a negative impact on them.

More shared space should, and actually does, increase awareness as people get used to these sorts of interactions and begin adapting their behaviour to avoid accidents, rather than taking militant ownership of 'their' space, whether that is by shouting at a person on a bike who is on the pavement or otherwise.
Zoe
Thursday 22 March 2012 9.19pm
I cycle on this path and have no issues with it. I just go around pedestrians who are on the path or slow down and wait. I think a few more 'bike path' signs would help, but stopping the drinkers outside the pub would be more helpful, as they can be challenging to avoid.

What frustrates me is that in the opposite direction I get to BHS and have nowhere to go. A bit of effort and the council could make a cut through to the back of the hospital and down Druid Street do we could avoid BHS as much as possible.

The moral here is considerate cycling - yes, bike routes that lead to busy streets - no.
Thursday 22 March 2012 9.51pm
I am an occasional cyclist myself, but I get increasingly frustrated with cyclists' bullying behaviour. A good example is the pedestrian crossing on Southwark Bridge towards Mint Street Park. Cyclists heading towards Southwark Street at high speed invariably check the traffic coming from Marshalsea road on the right and have no consideration for the parents and children crossing the road on the left. My son and I almost got run over by a woman that somehow thought the red lights that stopped all the other vehicles didn't apply to her and almost ran into us whilst we were legitamely crossing the road. I yelled "Oi" at her and she yelled back: "I didn't see you". That'll be because you weren't looking... And this is a pattern, it happens almost every day that some cyclist, looking to the right, just goes through the red without even acknowledging the crossing. It's often the same people as well. And don't get me started on FIS. As far as I am concerned, too many cyclists are aggressive bullies and nothing else.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions