London SE1 community website

Sainsbury's 'offers' - scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 25 May 2011 8.49am
This happens at Sainsbury Waterloo frequently also. It's much too hard to do anything about it, especially when you are on the self scan. Sometimes I pay, sometimes I leave it all there and walk away depending on my mood. I prefer the latter as a form of protest via inconvenience.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 9.16am
It makes me mad when I think how I con myelf into believing that supermarkets provide cheaper, more convenient shopping. Don't know how often I've walked away from the self scan at a Sainsbury's because it's jammed up on me when I don't want to use their plastic bags. I was was talking to one of the guys who stand there waiting to help you when things go wrong lately, and he said 'I know, they're useless, but in a few years time we'll be stuck with them and nothing else. It'll save the supermarkets money and people will have been trained to put up with things going wrong. You can watch it happening already.' Since then I've resolutely not used them. But what I ought to do is stay out of supermarkets altogether and stick to local, independent shopping.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 10.35am
It is def. in my opinion an organised fraud with the major supermarkets. Mostly the staff deal with it very well ( with a few past exceptions with managers at Sainsburys in BHS store) It must put a strain on them-however lets face it, there a thousands of shoppers who just won't notice-therefore the fraud works!
The only answer is to really check your receipt so they don't get away with it. Of course there is also the till just adding random items to the bill ( not the staff) my favourite was in ASDA OKR- I was charged 14.99 for a Garden Rake--then the manager even admitted-we don't even stock that!!!
I agree try to shop from local stores/markets as much as possible.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 3.00pm
ALWAYS check your till receipts.. everytime I do a weekly shop at either Tesco Surrey Quays or Waitrose Canary Wharf, there is always an error. The cashier can't fix it, so you have to go to "customer services" where there is always a queue , NEVER an apology for the delay to my day and inconvenience, Tesco give back three times the difference but they don't care, because as many others on this thread have stated, most customers won't know they have been ripped off. I asked to speak to a manager on many occasions at Tesco but they never turn up, just leave the assistant to deal with me getting irate at waiting for a resolution.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 3.06pm
I'll share this too. I had plenty of time one afternoon. Bought some Finest Rib-eye steak at Tesco, noticed it was incorrectly priced by 10 per kg higher than the "special offer" tag. So I bought three packs, paid, went to Customer Services to tell them I was overcharged, got my three times the difference refund = free steaks!! Went back a couple of days later - same error still there! A very poorly run business - I doubt it is company policy to incorrectly price or ticket product - just inept management.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 3.07pm
Tesco used to give you the goods for free and the money back too...I heard it got too expensive due to the number of mistakes....policy changed a few years ago....now its sometimes not worth the wait to get things rectified if its only a small amount...but still very galling nonetheless.
Wednesday 25 May 2011 5.36pm
I disagree that it it is not done on purpose re the pricing offers/scams---so few people notice on a grand scale they win almost every time. Also as some posters have said---if it is self scan--people just can't be bothered ( mean this in a nice way-totally understandable) to tackle the overcharge or just abandon their shopping.
Tesoc have a 'price promise' -means they have to give you back twice the price when they overcharge. According to their head office-this policy is clearly displayed at each pay-point - it isn't in my experience- you have to ask for it. But if you get Free Steak because they have overcharged you and fail to rectify their error-good for you Urbanite-more shoppers should do it. The only way the big supermarkets will change this fraud is when it is financially failing. Also the managers on the stores esp Tesco Metro and Sainsburys local have apparently targets to meet re turn over-no doubt bonus's so it is imperative they bump up their sales figures. Which is why when mistakes are pointed out- they fail to rectify them on many ocaasions.
So check your receipts!
DO THE THING AND HAVE THE POWER
Wednesday 25 May 2011 5.47pm
But why do we shop where we always have to check our till receipts? It means we're giving money to people we know are either actively cheating us or don't care one way or the other if that's how it ends up. Like I said, if it's neither cheap nor convenient, what's actually the point?
Wednesday 25 May 2011 6.16pm
Agreed Aoibhneas
I think the answer is avoid the big supermarkets as much as posible---though I expect it is hard for families - working hours, etc. to do this hundered percents, but we can only try.
Thursday 26 May 2011 6.59am
Simples.....
Don't use them. I never go to any of the big supermarkets. I won't rant about why here, as I need to get to work soon....
How is easy -
Fresh food on a Sat am at Maltby St, topped up by a quick lunchtime trip to Borough Market on a Thursday from work.
Dry goods from the local costcutter and the Circle Stores in shad thames.
I don't need to waste the time and petrol going to a supermarket and I don't pay any more than I would there either.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions