London SE1 community website

SE1 postal service campaign

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 43
Jon
Wednesday 5 May 2004 1.08pm
I had to pick up a parcel from the Mandela way sorting office (it was too big to fit in the letterbox), and when I turned up there was an abandoned post trolley with several letters in it in the middle of the road. I had to wait a while as there were poeple in the queue in front of me, two people were serving, but neither of them answered the phone which continued to ring for the entire ten minutes I was in there waiting, and when I left the post trolley was still in the road - I could have taken all the post in it, and no-one be any wiser. I went back and told the counter person, who just shrugged and said thanks.

I was not impressed!
Wednesday 5 May 2004 1.55pm
no-one ever answers the phone at the mandela way office. I've let it ring for up to 25 minutes when trying to pick up a special delivery parcel. (wouldn't normally, but it was a work thing and it was urgent).

Got so annoyed that I ended up getting a taxi down there to get the parcel, and suggested they might like to check the line while I was there. They laughed quite a lot, then told me to call the number on my mobile 'to prove it worked' - which of course it did - then suggested that I must have been calling the wrong number...
Wednesday 5 May 2004 1.57pm
What someone needs to do is call the number and walk in through the door while it's ringing...
hat
Wednesday 5 May 2004 5.58pm
Mapmaker - what is your mum doing up so early in the morning? Still, very glad to see that for once, when someone asks you if you know someone in London - you could say yes (well virtually)...
hat
Thursday 6 May 2004 3.23pm
More early starts - a visit to the sorting office at 7.30am next tuesday(let's hope I come out alive) to see what happens to our post. Then Tony Phelan has promised to organise a residents meeting there, in the next 2 weeks or so. Now, what evenings are best for most people - is a Monday good, because no-one has social things to do? The more people we can get there the better, as it shows we are serious about wanting changes in the service we get. I imagine we'll need someone to chair the meeting - so maybe we can get Simon Hughes involved as well - otherwise Maurits, with your skills in Life Coaching and Psychotherapy - might be able to keep the atmosphere calm...
Thursday 6 May 2004 5.45pm
Hi Hat

Is it worth being in touch with Valerie Shawcross, London Assembly Member for Southwark & Lambeth? as she has been in touch with Adam Crozier, Royal Mail, on behalf of residents in Kennington SE11/SE17 where we are also having major problems. [email protected]
Thursday 6 May 2004 7.59pm
Monday's generally good for me, and I'll will most certainly try to be there and even to chair if needed.
Friday 7 May 2004 9.44am
just catching up on this discussion...a bit late sorry....

Living in Leathermarket Street is an absolute nightmare for post. There are the addresses in the street itself, Leathermarket Court and The Leathermarket. Post is constatntly mis-deliivered, and it appears that there is a mini postal delivery system in place for re-directing mail in the area.
Compounding this is the complete inneficiency of the Post Office to deliver on a regular basis. Whilst people complain about the lack of a second daily delivery, I would like to complain about not having more than 4 deliveries a week sometimes.
As a final point, finding a large (full) sack of mail sitting in my front lobby on the day before a bank holiday meant that no-one in the area got their mail delivered for a week, untill I had the time to take the sack back to Mandela Way, to a very apologetic, and disbeliveing chap who had no explanation whatsoever.
Friday 7 May 2004 9.50am
Last Monday (26 April), I ordered tickets for a London Broncos game on Bank Holiday Monday (3rd May) from the Broncos' office at Brentford. One of my friends from work ordered tickets at the same time. We both asked for them to be sent to our home addresses (moment of weakness on my part, I know).

On Thursday (29 April), my friend told me that his tickets had got safe and sound to his home in Islington.

I got my tickets yesterday (6 May). The letter was postmarked 27 April and sent first class.

I hope the Bank Holiday wasn't too busy down at Mandela Way, and that our hard-working posties found some time for relaxation.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 7 May 2004 10.40am
hat,
mondays should be ok for me aswell.
kristina

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 43

This thread has been closed
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions