London SE1 community website

Union Street Cafe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Thursday 12 September 2013 10.25am
They didn't have a menu outside, when we walked by on Sat. (There were people inside eating).

I guess it's a soft opening.

...if you press it, they will come.
cbg
Thursday 19 September 2013 7.32pm
The menu and prices are now online. Quite reasonably priced.
Thursday 19 September 2013 7.41pm
The restaurant does look nice and welcoming and I know it will be good grub and all that but blimey it does look out of place to me,perhaps in time that whole parade of shops will be different but at the moment it looks strange to me.
Friday 20 September 2013 9.41am
I remember the newspaper articles before saying it had a rush of bookings and in particular, no availability on Fridays and Saturdays until November. What a load of hype over nothing!

Just managed to book for two for lunch tomorrow, two for dinner next Wednesday, and Fridays and Saturdays from start of October showed availability for two at any time slot from 7.30 onwards.
So either their publicist just hyped it up to draw attention, or everyone cancelled their bookings once Beckham confirmed he was no longer associated with it...
I'm still looking forward to trying it, just hope its not a case of style over substance.
Friday 20 September 2013 10.57am
I have a booking for this Saturday - will feedback once been.
However, first impressions not so good.
I booked via toptable which is not unusual.
On Wednesday morning I received a missed call from the restaurant to confirm booking (they left a voicemail).
One hour later I received an officious email via toptable suggesting the restaurant had tried unsuccessfully to get in touch with me and I should confirm asap.
Who confirms bookings 4 days ahead?
Never experienced this with toptable before.
Gordon must be nervous!!!!
Friday 20 September 2013 11.01am
Had dinner there earlier this week and I have to say the food was very good however it certainly was not packed out to say the least.

It was very reasonably priced all things considered and a boon for the area. The cocktails were great (loving the fact I don't have far to stagger home from it).

The menu is apparently changing daily but I had the seafood pasta (very good), one of the other guests had the lamb shoulder - again very good (and he is a true foodie).

All in all 8 / 10.
Friday 20 September 2013 12.28pm
The menu is all in Italian...

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Friday 20 September 2013 2.40pm
I can also vouch for the fully booked being hype,a friend of mine was passing by on the opening day,and asked if it was possible to book a table for 6 they ate their at 8pm the same day.He said the place was decidedly unfull
Saturday 21 September 2013 10.16am
Yep, every time I've walked past it this week the place has looked half full. That 11,000 covers was Pure PR spin.

Popped into the (also rather empty) bar downstairs late on Thursday. They'd just stopped serving but I asked the bar man if they did any decent beers. He (rather haughtily) listed a couple of underwhelming names - Peroni and its ilk. I know it's supposed primarily to be a cocktail bar but if they give so little thought to the beer I'm sceptical about the food.

I give the place a matter of months.
Sunday 22 September 2013 7.56am
Excellent food and good value
Will be back
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions