London SE1 community website

Union Street Cafe

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Sunday 22 September 2013 9.02am
My favourite restaurant critic, Matthew Norman of the Daily Telegraph has written his review of this latest Ramsay venture and published yesterday 21/9/2013 and it aint good, 4/10. It got a higher mark than it deserved as a restaurant because he liked the bar so much. As to the food the best thing the critic could say was that the young staff were attentive.
His opening point of the review was that David Beckham has shown that he is a shrewd business man by jumping ship before it hit the rocks.
Sunday 22 September 2013 2.38pm
I've been following this thread with interest and I hope Gordon succeeds and make a success of the Cafe...

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Sunday 22 September 2013 2.42pm
You might wonder what the fuss is about when you enter the dining room at this middle-of-nowhere Southwark site (though the tube is mercifully close).

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/union-street-cafe

imagine dragging oneself from surburbia to the middle of nowhere...
Sunday 22 September 2013 3.40pm
"I've been following this thread with interest and I hope Gordon succeeds and make a success of the Cafe"...couldn't agree more and am sure he will. There is a lot planned for Union St and think Gordon had a bit of foresight. Getting so bored of all the negative posts....
Sunday 22 September 2013 6.22pm
was looking at the menu in Italian today and lady dinner who came out for a fag- said it was excellent.
Was not very full - but also nice to see the staff getting fed in the bar bit pre shift. I agree I hope it goes well and I can afford to go one day soon.
Sunday 22 September 2013 10.28pm
We went tonight. Was dreadful Bar was ace and the cocktails are worth the visit otherwise save your money. There are 1000x better local italian restaurants in the area. man was puking up in the toilets too which out my husband off his paltry main course. First and last time i visit a gordon ramsey restaurant. . Also not packed and pretty empty.
Thursday 26 September 2013 10.15am
I went last night and have to say I thought it was fantastic. The bar, as everyone says is really v cool, but the restaurant was just as good. Maybe they have got over the first week teething problems (I'm guessing incl their booking system), but the food was really lovely - the rabbit pasta especially. Also with starters from £3 and mains £13-18 I don't think its expensive. Sommelier even recommended a wine at £25 which was really good. Plus it was full - I think like most restaurants in SE1, unlike the West End, you don't get double sittings so it can look a bit empty if you're passing after 10.30. eg. Casse Croute is lights off by then, yet its been packed all night.
Personally I'm v pleased its here.....it had a good review in Evening Standard yesterday too so its not just me....
Thursday 26 September 2013 11.25am
I thought that Wednesday's Standard review of Union Street Café was a tad mixed.
While the reviewer certainly didn't run the place down, he didn't exactly praise it to the skies either. He wasn't impressed by the decor, but for the most part, he seemed to enjoy the food on offer, save for one of his, or his companions mains. Personally I prefer interiors à la Baltic, tablecloths go a long way with me, but having said that, I will almost certainly give Union Street a try. I have to say that I saw the shot of the interior as off putting, but I'll still go and see what all the fuss is about. The fact that neither Ramsay, nor Beckham will be around is a plus as far as I'm concerned. In my previous life as a black cab driver I have had both of them "in the back" on separate occasions, neither one impressed me. Still, other than the fact that I got them where they wanted to go without initiating a subservient conversation, I don't suppose that they were impressed by me either.
Thursday 26 September 2013 11.32am
Tom, intrigued...what does it take to impress a black cab driver?! Would be useful knowledge....
Thursday 26 September 2013 4.46pm
shaggy wrote:
Tom, intrigued...what does it take to impress a black cab driver?! Would be useful knowledge....

A bit pushed for time right now shaggy, but I'll give it some thought and try to get back to you.
I guess that the reason I said that the duo didn't impress me, was because they have been lauded as the wunderkind of their generation, but they had had little effect on me, but Ramsay's York and Albany, Camden NW1, I thought was really good.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions