London SE1 community website

Hiba Restaurant closed from June 1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Friday 15 July 2011 11.50am
So it has last only few months on Holborn...

Do they belong to the same corporation?

There was a Mickey Fish and Chip in Paddington when I used to work there and it was pretty horrible. The oil wouldn't have suit a car engine..

It says established in 1962, but it should said: And amazingly still running!
Friday 15 July 2011 12.25pm
Ah that's a shame then. I see to add to ones woes a Starbucks is being fitted out next door to the Amusement arcade (now closed?) at the junction of bhs/ss.
Friday 15 July 2011 1.10pm
dont worry when Foxtons move into bhs soon it'll all go v upmarket and chi chi ;-)
Friday 15 July 2011 1.16pm
James Hatts wrote:
Seems to be the same as this place:
http://cheesenbiscuits.blogspot.com/2011/02/mickys-holborn.html

(Micky's in Holborn has apparently shut down and been replaced by Hiba Express, so the plot thickens)

Hiba Express still very much operational in Holborn - just been in. It's been there for a while (most of this year, I would reckon) and before that it was Salafadi (or something).

I pass these premises everyday but have absolutely no recollection of seeing a Micky's F&C there in the last four years. Any idea how long it was supposedly there for?
Friday 15 July 2011 2.30pm
Is this it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noodlepie/375322093/

Get's good reviews on Google.
Friday 15 July 2011 3.49pm
How did you find that?! Yes it is...
Gosh just looking at the picture I was overwhelmed by the smell..
It wasn't bad but if you have that F&C at lunch time you better watch Wimbledon on your PC and forget about work..
Friday 15 July 2011 4.17pm
Yes, the smell of chips is always revolting until you actually want them, in the same way a desire for an ice cream always disappoints once you start eating one.

Based on that photo, if they could go with the same look for an ironic twist; cheap acrylic sign, old fashion style seating with yellow veneer tops, or even better the red plastic checkered table clothes and mirrors, I might well find myself popping by.

Alas, the old style chippie is a lost breed. Bring back newsprint.
Sunday 17 July 2011 7.49am
you can't beat a good chippie...i miss the place that used to be on borough high street near london bridge, demolished for the Thameslink bridge
Sunday 17 July 2011 8.21am
That was a good one, though I had to resist forever popping in there. Whilst I can understand and agree with the horror of cheap tat that is bhs I'd make allowances for a good Plaice 'n' chips. It would certainly do good business at that location, though I can see how this might end up as a problem very quickly, flitting between hostel accommodation, pub and chippie.
Sunday 17 July 2011 12.11pm
if mushy peas and gravy were on the menu i could be a regular!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions