London SE1 community website

Hiba Restaurant closed from June 1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Friday 29 July 2011 3.47pm
Iv heard it a chain opening by Heston Blumenthal,
how true this is i dont know
Friday 29 July 2011 4.10pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Stuck my head round the door of Mickey's today and we ain't talking soggy bag of chips and mushy peas. Waitress service and upmarket interior. Looks promising.

But, as suggested, seems to be the guy who owns Costa again!
Friday 29 July 2011 11.51pm
The Hiba on High Holborn was definitely a Micky's fish and chips a few months ago - it was only there a few months and had that "established 1962" sign up.
Saturday 30 July 2011 12.20am
Auntie Pat wrote:
The Hiba on High Holborn was definitely a Micky's fish and chips a few months ago - it was only there a few months and had that "established 1962" sign up.

So Hiba left us behind and traded up, and Mickey's has just done a swap? Not a bad idea I guess for two restaurant formulas that each figure they might do better in the other's location.

Still, I can imagine that the Lebanese departees might have been sick of the sight of a bombed-out looking Borough High Street that reminded them too much of Beirut....
Saturday 30 July 2011 6.22am
well said Boroman...at the moment it would put Gaddafi off. what a welcome this part of SE! will provide the millions coming to town for the Olympics
Saturday 30 July 2011 7.45am
Boroman, could not have out it better myself... LOL
Saturday 30 July 2011 12.50pm
I really enjoyed eating in the 'late Hiba'.I would not recommend 'Micky's',the batter on my fish was not cooked through and soggy,the fish inside was very dry,and the chips were soggy,and as yet no liquour license.
Saturday 30 July 2011 6.38pm
I guess everyone is likely to have their own experience but purely in the name of research I popped by and grabbed a bag of chips and mushy peas and must say I thought the chips were excellent. Firm, with a hint of crispness and creamy on the palette. The mushy peas were... mushy in the right kind of way. I'll certainly make the odd visit again though it doesn't really fit in with my eating plan these days.
Sunday 31 July 2011 8.16am
I gave it a go too. Cod,chips and mushy peas. It was very quiet in there on Friday night. It was all good though, probably not quite up there with the best in London, but the best in the area of Borough High Street, I can't stand "Fish" down at the Market end, way overpriced and far too noisy to sit in.
Sunday 31 July 2011 8.55am
I hope they close soon and we get something more uplifting than take away food .... Possibly something That has nothing to do with food all together, will be wellcomed.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions