London SE1 community website

Borough High Street resurfacing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 21 June 2011 8.28am
As someone who has to move around London a lot, often by road, you are preaching to the choir Mr.P.
What about the war zone that is both sides of Oxford Street, particularly Soho and Hanover Square while Crossrail is being oh so slowly constructed?
It is often said that you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, true, but I am hearing a new expression a lot now.
What they do in a civilised country in a weekend, takes about a year in the U.K.
Tuesday 21 June 2011 3.17pm
Zoe wrote:
Thanks Jon, that might explain it, but surely Thames Water did something to the drainage when they did work there, are these different drains?

That work was to replace to water and gas mains and not the road drainage system (!). The drainage system is being replaced in order to eliminate the problem of standing water on Borough High Street which is an irritant to all.

I seem to recall all the work would be concluded by the end of the year, which in itself is no great comfort.
Zoe
Tuesday 21 June 2011 6.13pm
Well at least it might get rid of that terrible smell from the HSBC corner, but I really must say - water mains and drains being replaced at different times? Mr Bazalgette would be turning in his grave.
Tuesday 21 June 2011 6.48pm
Zoe wrote:
Well at least it might get rid of that terrible smell from the HSBC corner

Maybe they should put this back.
Monday 27 June 2011 9.44pm
From the TfL page in today's Metro:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/metro/20382.aspx

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Monday 27 June 2011 10.22pm
Sigh, January 2012, how tiresome. I just hope the road is all lovely and new when they finish.

I'm still confused by the drainage works, but I suppose there's a difference between road drains and sewers.
Thursday 30 June 2011 1.45pm
It isn't so bad at the moment - certainly a lot quieter and some of the new paving looks overly! Hmmm, it does look like they have removed the bike stands outside the library though, which probably isn't that sensible (they were used a lot).

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions