London SE1 community website

Daft questions about Painters and Decorators

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 3 July 2011 11.34am
Hello Lovely SE1-ers
I have a very basic question to ask re painter and decorators.
How much would be normal to pay ( without materials)
a decorator. For a tiny one bed flat? ( Really a studio but with a bedroom attahced -where the bed touchs both side walls it is that small)

Second stupid question
How much (without materials) would be a reasonable price to pay to put down a laminate floorboard floor
About twelve foot by seven and a bit extra for a bit of corridor?

I am clueless?
Thankyou
Sunday 3 July 2011 2.20pm
I am sorry I have no idea but you could get a few people along to give you a quote which will give you an idea of the range of price you might have to pay someone else to do the work.
Sunday 3 July 2011 5.38pm
Thanks little john, I think that may be the way
Sunday 3 July 2011 6.30pm
Between 70 - 100 a day
Sunday 3 July 2011 7.19pm
To paint a small flat, (as long as there's not too much woodwork and the walls are sound) it should take a decent decorator 2 days max and cost around 120 - 150 a day.
You would be able to find someone cheaper but often that's a false economy, and they may take longer and end up costing you more in the long run.
As for a laminate floor, as long as the flat's clear and solely for the job of laying it down (i.e. no removal of carpet or pre existing flooring) it should take a carpenter about a day (150).
This obviously doesn't include any materials.
hope this helps.
Sunday 3 July 2011 9.00pm
A few points re flooring:

- If there's another flat below you and you're getting rid of carpet, first check your lease. For quite sensible noise reasons, many have restrictions on doing that.

- If you can possibly afford it get engineered board, which fits together like laminate but has a layer of real wood, which is even sandable in the future, rather than a plastic-coated photograph of woodgrain.

- Whatever you buy, to avoid shrinkage or buckling take early delivery and store it in its packs laid flat indoors for a good few days (not up against the wall) so it acclimatises before going down.

Good luck!
Monday 4 July 2011 9.37am
Hi Kory

You may find this website useful.

Also Google for "decoration online quote"
Monday 4 July 2011 9.49am
Thanks everyone you are so helpful -engineered boards I had not even heard of-but I am basement-rabit hutch so no probs re noise.
Thanks for all your help/suggestions /webs
Marvelous

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions