London SE1 community website

Cycle lanes for Tower Bridge now!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Monday 18 July 2011 10.20pm
EleanorT wrote:
I think Mutton you are the type of pedestrian I try to avoid too - though sometimes on the rare occasion that I take the pavement and meet someone mouthing off, I wonder why I take such care to miss them...!

Not too sure what I did to deserve that... If you ever catch me swearing at some idiot who just nearly ran me over on a pedestrian crossing after running a red light, feel free to plow me down as you're cycling along the pavement

/confused.

Get off the bloody pavement =) And stop at the lights.

Grrrrrrrr
Monday 18 July 2011 10.21pm
graham wrote:
Quote:
"it isnt wide enough for cycle lanes...fact"
Maybe the road is too narrow for motor vehicles?

Now that is the kind of thinking that might actually improve this city.

+1
Monday 18 July 2011 10.32pm
Hey guys, can we cool it. If you are a cyclist, pedestrian, motorist can you not wait 30 seconds? The UK scene is amazing and dangerous. I travel to the Continent almost every week but nowhere else do I find this antagaonism between modes of transport.

We all have to give a bit. Then everyone will be safer, and blood pressure lower.

Try it.
Monday 18 July 2011 10.41pm
Guy's street wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Tower Bridge is clearly an exceptional historic bridge and the lanes were not designed with 21st century transport in mind. If cyclists wish to do what I do on my scooter. ie: queue with all the traffic then they can use this crossing in complete safety. Only those cyclists or others on two wheels (and some pedestrians) who dodge and weave in this packed traffic must take responsibility that they may not be as "safe" as they would wish to be. Tower Bridge is certainly not dangerous, impatient behaviour is inherently unsafe in any vehicle, be patient, be safe.
Spot on.
Agree, spot on.
Monday 18 July 2011 10.45pm
theedy wrote:
Hey guys, can we cool it. If you are a cyclist, pedestrian, motorist can you not wait 30 seconds? The UK scene is amazing and dangerous. I travel to the Continent almost every week but nowhere else do I find this antagaonism between modes of transport.
We all have to give a bit. Then everyone will be safer, and blood pressure lower.

Try it.

Agreed. However, on the continent there also seem to be stricter laws and stricter policing, and maybe, as a consequence of this, more discipline and mutual respect by road users. London just isn't traffic friendly, whatever mode of transfer you choose. I once got a hefty fine in Switzerland for overtaking stationary cars on my motorbike. Rules there state that a motorbike should behave exactly like cars. Now, driving in London, that rule makes sense to me. Anything else is either murder of suicide. I could go on and bore people with traffic regulations for cyclists, pedestrians, cars etc, and as an old punk I never thought I'd ever say this, but seeing how London traffic has deteriorated over the last couple of decades, these rules have slowly started to make sense.
Monday 18 July 2011 11.55pm
graham wrote:
Quote:
"it isnt wide enough for cycle lanes...fact"
Maybe the road is too narrow for motor vehicles?

Will you be taking the lead on this Graham, by not driving over the bridge yourself?
Tuesday 19 July 2011 9.24am
I always found Tower Bridge to be way too scary to cycle over on a regular basis. IMHO I'd rather cycle a little further out of my way and be safe rather than take my chances/ risk my life against the merging traffic, dodgy state of the road, the narrow lanes and kamikazi pedestrians!!

Southwark Bridge isn't too far away and feels almost car-free in comparison. As the saying goes 'choose your battles wisely'!
Tuesday 19 July 2011 9.32am
Top tip - you can always get off and push your bike over Tower Bridge. Perhaps that's why it's called a push-bike.
Tuesday 19 July 2011 9.41am
Mutton wrote:
EleanorT wrote:
I think Mutton you are the type of pedestrian I try to avoid too - though sometimes on the rare occasion that I take the pavement and meet someone mouthing off, I wonder why I take such care to miss them...!

Not too sure what I did to deserve that... If you ever catch me swearing at some idiot who just nearly ran me over on a pedestrian crossing after running a red light, feel free to plow me down as you're cycling along the pavement

/confused.

Get off the bloody pavement =) And stop at the lights.

Grrrrrrrr

I agree with Mutton here. I thought his/her original post was one of the most balanced viewpoints on cycling vs walking that I've seen on here in ages. (OK, it wasn't too kind to cars, but let's put that to one side)

I'd hope that if Eleanor re-read it slowly, she might see it that way as well.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 19 July 2011 9.46am
My main point would be that adding cycle lanes to the pavements simply wouldn't work due to the pinch points on the bridge. The thought that having encouraged people to cycle on it and then expect them to get off for a yellow box is a little naive in my view. No offence.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions