London SE1 community website

Cycle lanes for Tower Bridge now!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Jac
Tuesday 19 July 2011 9.11am
I am perhaps what you would call a leisure cyclist (so I dont cycle much in the peak morning afternoon rush) and i actually prefer tower bridge to many of the other bridges as a crossing point. Although the northern end is a bit scary i take the view that if i am in a collision with a car at least it will be a relatively low speed and therefore less likely to be fatal and the weight restriction means there are not large trucks and lorries the greatest threat to a cyclist safety. Much as i would love to see more cycle lanes (especially ones that actually work in practice rather than look good on the drawing board but are of little help to cyclists due to obstructions, suddenly ending etc etc) I really dont think there is room on tower bridge for them. As a pedestrian on the bridge it can be hard enough to get from south to north and back again, with the number of people on the foot paths so definitely no room on the pavements IMO
Tuesday 19 July 2011 12.11pm
I woudn't mind if they turned Tower Bridge into a pedestrian zone, although the area around Southwark Bridge would probably collapse under the additional traffic.
ADT
Tuesday 19 July 2011 12.25pm
mirageman wrote:
traffic merges from 2 lanes to 1 and cyclists often weave in and out between cars both on approach and whilst crossing. Vehicles often travel too near the kerb forcing cyclists to overtake on the outside, for example.
Transport For London, are you listening?

If they are then I expect they'll have no sympathy since you commence by explaining how cyclists behave badly and are perturbed when cars use the road correctly...

I mainly drive over Tower Bridge at present. I've cycled it many times in the past. In my view since the step down to 20 mph it is much safer for cycling. The only problems I've seen with car/cycle interaction are a few near misses as a speeding cyclist tries to undertake/overtake on a road that is too narrow to do either safely when there is motor traffic in both lanes, but that is the cyclist's choice and nothing to do with the road layout.
Tuesday 19 July 2011 5.31pm
I cycle over TB quite regularly and it gets bad at the tower of london end with all the junctions, but on the whole I say drivers are pretty good and considerate when I am on the bridge as they acknowledge how narrow it is.
Tuesday 19 July 2011 6.31pm
Cycling over TB is for nutters.
Tuesday 19 July 2011 6.57pm
maybe one footpath for pedestrians and the other for cyclists would be the best compromise?
Tuesday 19 July 2011 7.10pm
Now that, Paul, is an excellent idea!
Tuesday 19 July 2011 7.33pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:

With both pavements already packed with pedestrians every day and the amount of cyclists using TB (I walk across almost ever day) I don't think this is feasible...
Tuesday 19 July 2011 7.37pm
I dunno - remember one pavement was closed for months during the painting exercise and there was still capacity when I went across - even at peak hours.
Tuesday 19 July 2011 9.59pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Boss St Bloke wrote:

With both pavements already packed with pedestrians every day and the amount of cyclists using TB (I walk across almost ever day) I don't think this is feasible...

Exactly as someone who walks over the bridge twice a day 5 days a week I can assure you that there's no room for cycles on the already crowded pavements. It's practically impossible to make it past the dawdling tourists as it is.

Besides I don't see an issue, the problem comes on the north end when clueless cyclists change their road position without so much as a glance. Such glances are called a 'lifesaver' for a reason, you can't merely change road position and expect everyone to fit in...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions