London SE1 community website

Cycle lanes for Tower Bridge now!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Wednesday 20 July 2011 2.22pm
Is there any evidence that any of the accidents on Blackfriars bridge were caused by a vehicle doing 30 and not 20 mph. I know the evidence for pedestrian injuries and the lower 20 mph limit, but that is when a pedestrian is hit by a vehicle front on, and not a bicycle crushed by a bus/lorry often doing less than 10 mph. The speed limit issue is in my opinion a red herring and clouds the issue which is to do with vehicle driver education, better mirrors and better visibility from large vehicles and re-education of cyclists when encountering larger vehicles particularly at junctions, and of course road design.
Wednesday 20 July 2011 8.29pm
Personally I think it would be more than feasible to widen the road over the bridge by a few feet on either side, except for under the first and last arches where the pinch points are. This extra width plus a little from the existing road could easily be used to accommodate the cycle paths in either directions.

That the pedestrian pavements over the bridge are constantly heaving is a complete exaggeration and I don't feel can be used as an argument for not shaving them by a few feet in order to potentially save lives. And as has been mentioned previously when both sides were closed to pedestrians whilst the paint job was being carried out, human traffic volumes were never intolerable.

Surely to have cyclists channelled along their own dedicated lanes would lower everyone's stress levels when negotiating the bridge.
Wednesday 20 July 2011 8.36pm
rather strange logic...several thousand cyclists given equal status with millions of drivers. the same kind of logic regarding speed limits on blackfriars bridge. so how does traffic flow speed up by giving more space on the roads to bikes and slowing down cars and other vehicles? bonkers...
Wednesday 20 July 2011 8.47pm
There are dual carriage ways in Holland where you are guaranteed a "green wave", i.e. a succession of green lights if you maintain a certain speed, I believe 70 kph.
It works, I don't know exactly how, but it does. It's brilliant, traffic moves harmoniously like in a Jacques Tati movie.
Wednesday 20 July 2011 9.01pm
Quote:
Rather strange logic...several thousand cyclists given equal status with millions of drivers. the same kind of logic regarding speed limits on blackfriars bridge so how does traffic flow speed up by giving more space on the roads to bikes and slowing down cars and other vehicles? bonkers...

This site (http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/2011/02/london-bridge-and-blackfriars-bridge.html) quotes TfL counts which show "bicycles now comprise 35.6% of the total traffic on Blackfriars Bridge heading north in the mornings. That's more than any other mode of transport and higher than private motor cars and taxis combined (31.9%)."
Thursday 21 July 2011 9.51am
Does this mean cyclists will soon be paying road tax too?
Thursday 21 July 2011 10.00am
Car owners pay Vehicle Excise Duty (and a large proportion of people who use cycles also own cars and thus pay this tax), whilst all taxpayers pay for roads through income, council and other taxes. There was a "Road Tax" but this was abolished in 1937.
Thursday 21 July 2011 10.16am
boroughpaul wrote:
so how does traffic flow speed up by giving more space on the roads to bikes and slowing down cars and other vehicles? bonkers...

A car travelling at a constant 20mph arrives at its destination MUCH quicker than one which is often at a standstill, with occasional short bursts at 40mph.

If a given amount of road-space can be used either to get 1,000 cyclists per hour over a bridge, or 200 car-drivers (because they each need much more space) then clearly more Londoners will get to their destination more quickly by making it easier to cycle.

And for every extra new cyclist on the road, there is one less car (or one less delay as a taxi/bus picks up another passenger), easing congestion for the remaining car-drivers.
Thursday 21 July 2011 10.20am
urbanite wrote:
Does this mean cyclists will soon be paying road tax too?

Some myths never seem to die.

http://ipayroadtax.com/
Thursday 21 July 2011 10.26am
There are various arguments often given for why we could not have Amsterdam/Copenhagen-style cycling culture in London, including "our streets are too narrow" and "it would too expensive". These and other such arguments are addressed here:

http://hembrow.blogspot.com/2011/02/all-those-myths-and-excuses-in-one-post.html

If you have time to read the blog-posts and follow the links, it really is fascinating to see how all objections are overcome in the Netherlands.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions