London SE1 community website

Cycle lanes for Tower Bridge now!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7
Friday 22 July 2011 7.45am
As has been pointed out it is a 'car' tax not 'road' tax.[/quote]

To be absolutely fair to everyone, cyclists and car drivers alike, the words "road tax" as opposed to "car tax" have been common parlance for years in reference to buying the paper disc to place on your car's windshield.
I, and I would suggest, the vast majority of car owners, accept that it is a tax for USING the roads, and NOT a tax for the upkeep of said roads.
Bea
Sunday 24 July 2011 4.40pm
NO - we pay car tax to maintain the roads which we use and anyone that wants to use them should also have to pay. I walk on the street - no pollution - no problems but I still have to pay council tax to maintain the pavements. Why do SOME cyclists take this high moral ground all the time - and why oh why do they wear all that lycra to cycle to work !
Sunday 24 July 2011 4.51pm
Bea wrote:
NO - we pay car tax to maintain the roads

Why are you having such trouble understanding? You are just plain wrong.
Sunday 24 July 2011 5.28pm
...and why oh why do they wear all that lycra to cycle to work !

I'll be inclined to answer the second point as the first has already been cleared up; some wear it because it is practical; no loose cuffs to catch on chainring, get covered in grease, etc. No flapping materials swishing about, which does get irritating on longer rides and more usefully perhaps, it allows for total freedom of movement as a second skin. Those that wear it as a fashion statement are clearly deluded, unless it's from these guys:

http://www.rapha.cc/
Sunday 24 July 2011 5.58pm
Bea wrote:
When are these cyclist going to stop demanding to take over the roads ......they pay NOTHING

Too right Bea they are out to get all of us. And when will the young people stop playing all that nasty loud music too? :)

drog wrote:
We should all share the road and have respect for each other.

+1

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Sunday 24 July 2011 6.10pm
beetroot wrote:
Bea wrote:
NO - we pay car tax to maintain the roads

Why are you having such trouble understanding? You are just plain wrong.

Bea, (and I mean this not in a bad way), are you familiar with old maxim about when you're in a hole, stop digging?
Sunday 24 July 2011 6.19pm
Bea wrote:
NO - we pay car tax to maintain the roads which we use and anyone that wants to use them should also have to pay. I walk on the street - no pollution - no problems but I still have to pay council tax to maintain the pavements. Why do SOME cyclists take this high moral ground all the time - and why oh why do they wear all that lycra to cycle to work !

I'll give it one more go - you're taxed on your CO2 emissions, and the revenue raised goes into the general pot, not some special road building fund. That (a road fund) existed, and was abolished in 1937 following moves by Winston Churchill, then chancellor, who opposed it from it's inception where he warned that "It will be only a step from this for them to claim in a few years the moral ownership of the roads their contributions have created".

A wise man with a gift for foresight, in this an other areas.

Discussing the pros and cons of lanes will be much more productive if we can get that taken onboard and move on.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions