London SE1 community website

Noise from Isabella Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 9 August 2011 1.03pm
i live on hatfields as well and the noise from the establishments on isabella street is beyond a joke now. For some reason as well the turkish place there sometimes seems to rearrange or take the chairs in at around 3am ?? plenty of noise from that . For a while they seemed to sing happy birthday to everyone who was in there for a birthday meal which was very irritating , especially when you had to listen to it for the 10th time that night !!
Zoe
Tuesday 9 August 2011 7.24pm
Hi N99, the licence application hearing for Jacks to open until 3am is on 31st August. I think Cllr Morris was saying that you can't go unless you wrote in to object, but a few of us who objected are going and you are welcome to join us (I think it helps to show how strongly we feel about this).

Someone in our block has also suggested we speak to Ev's owner, to raise them banging the chair's when they put them away.

personally think the Council is failing to deal with the noise problem properly, given the impact upon us (but don't worry, I won't be rioting about it).
Tuesday 9 August 2011 7.27pm
Please can those people who have objected in writing contact me so that we can co-ordinate our time - limited presentation to the committee, and please can I reiterate that only those people who have sent in written objections can speak at the meeting. I think that it is a good idea for people to come along to show their strength of feeling but please be aware that the committee will not allow heckling and shouting, and there is no opportunity to comment unless you have already submitted written objections.
Zoe
Tuesday 9 August 2011 8.51pm
As if we'd heckle and shout, heaven forfend!

It seems we can all go, just not speak. Cllr Morris, I'll email you about arranging it amongst ourselves.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 10.22am
Zoe wrote:
Hi N99, the licence application hearing for Jacks to open until 3am is on 31st August. I think Cllr Morris was saying that you can't go unless you wrote in to object, but a few of us who objected are going and you are welcome to join us (I think it helps to show how strongly we feel about this).
Someone in our block has also suggested we speak to Ev's owner, to raise them banging the chair's when they put them away.

personally think the Council is failing to deal with the noise problem properly, given the impact upon us (but don't worry, I won't be rioting about it).

Unfortunately i am on night shifts 31st Aug, otherwise i would have come along :(

Must say though last night it seemed kind of weird as the bars and resteraunts were all closed on isabella street and the pubs on the cut as well (which were boarded up) .....seemed kinda creepy as am so used to the sort of "background noise" from those places...
Tuesday 23 August 2011 11.32am
Papers for the meeting have now been published:
http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=4110&x=1&;

I see the police have withdrawn their representation as Jacks have reduced the hours they are asking for.

The current proposal is 1am closure Monday-Wednesday and 2am on Thu/Fri/Sat

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Wednesday 31 August 2011 8.52pm
Just to update on this, we attended the licensing committee today for this application and I'm pleased to say it was refused. Thank you to everyone who has helped with this and to Cllr Morris.
Friday 2 September 2011 10.26am
Thank you Zoe for all you did on this and Councillor Morris whose help was equally invaluable. I really do appreciate the hard work put in by you and the 15 objectors to the increase in the application by Jack's Bar and I must also include Mike Tuppen for pursueing this matter too.
Well done all of you and a big THANK YOU.
Sunday 4 September 2011 4.58pm
The most important thing to remember with problems associated with licensed premises is to keep calling the noise team, the licensing team or the local police every time there is an issue and make sure that your call has been logged, even if no-one can come out to witness it in time. Despite Zoe and Mike's very good representations at the meeting it was touch and go whether the committee would refuse the application because the noise, licensing and police teams said they had no record of any complaints. If you have problems getting any of these teams to register your complaints, please email me on [email protected]
Monday 5 September 2011 10.42pm
Oh, we have complained,repeatedly.We've tried phoning the premises directly, but the calls go unanswered,probably because they can't be heard above the racket.We've called the Noise Team on numerous occasions but have yet to hear of a result.
The whole of Isabella St (yes,it really is classified as a street,not a long al fresco extension to the restaurants) could even be a fire hazard, besides anything else.We have to admit that it doess look attractive,and we locals are happy about the beauty of so many luscious plants, almost a jungle.
There's another nuisance to be mentioned here,it's how we are deemed to be a public toilet,anywhere in the vicinity,but particularly appealing to the weak-bladdered merrymaker are the beautiful gardens around Styles House,it's a wonder that all of that excess of nitrates hasn't withered the plants!Perhaps the clientele ought to be reminded to use the toilets before they leave the premises!
However,it's absolutely great news that the heartfelt pleas from the neighbours were listened to by the committee with some compassion and understanding,how very refreshing.Thank you so much,to everyone who was concerned.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions