London SE1 community website

Noise from Isabella Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 17 December 2015 12.10am
Well this is very interesting. License review notices have been posted by Southwark Council on Hatfields, The Cut, and on Isabella Street for all three bars: EV, Jacks Bar and Thai Silk. This is a direct result of constant complaints about noise and crowding, and also many observations by the 'licensing team' and ASB team. I hadn't realised that we have been complaining for four year until I tried to find this thread to post an update. Another interesting point is that the noise has been dreadful this week despite the council reviewing their licenses; they just don't care do they? Anyway, if you are a local resident and sick of the noise and crowding around these bars, details of how to make comments are on the blue notices fixed around the street. The council has made several recommendations regarding the playing of music and the use of the outside terraces which many of us intend to support. This is the best opportunity you will have to comment on the way these bars operate. For anyone who thinks we are moaning Minnies, I had a professional noise test done in my bedroom on the 11th floor with all windows closed, and the results concluded that the noise from the bars was in excess of that recommended for sleeping and resting. The noise test was commissioned by Southwark Council.
Saturday 19 December 2015 8.58pm
You are not a moaning Minnie.THE most appalling noise assaults anyone's ears within a large radius.How could the powers that be have closed their eyes and even worse,their ears to what amounts to torture? Sleep deprivation is what this is,and a well known form of torture.I was thinking of having Christmas lunch in Ev,but now it is spoiled,I don't wish to support them with their disregard for their bread and butter, their close neighbours.
Sunday 3 January 2016 12.26pm
yet another sleepless night caused by the customers from EV last night.the customarily loud music,screaming and then the usual saturday night fight.then to make sure everybody heard ,car horn at 12.30 am .i don't think the bar cares about respect for their neighbours as this situation is happening most nights.
Zoe
Sunday 3 January 2016 12.42pm
It was terrible last night, about 25 people screaming at the top of their lungs. They were stood in the road on Hatfields, which is why cars were beeping them, as they wouldn't get out of the way. At one point there was about six cars, several of whom were beeping.

The group was also partly stood in the doorway of Benson House, it must have been terrible for the residents there. Some of the group were so drunk they were couldn't stand up, I can't imagine how they got home. They repeatedly fell on the two cars parked outside Benson House and I could hear a lot of bottles and glasses being broken. This was a group of incredibly drunk people and I question how they were still being served.

They didn't leave until about 12.50am and then the Ev staff were putting the furniture away by banging the seats together and then emptying the bottles into the recycling bins. I am so tired today.

Max33, have you written off to support the license review? It closes on the 4th.
Sunday 3 January 2016 2.37pm
yes i did,hopefully other have done it too. i am also feed up to start most of my day exhausted because of noise nuissance from the bars.
Sunday 3 January 2016 6.34pm
Well this is the second time in recent days that they have been playing loud music until past 12 am. It's unbelievable that their license is under review because of noise nuisance and they still carry on in the same manner. It's almost as if they don't care. Last night was disgraceful. EV staff did nothing to move the crowds on, they were in and out of the bar, shouting at the top of their voices and two of them climbed up onto the top of the Underground ventilation shaft and sat on it. It looked to me like a huge private party too as they were all dressed in the same type of smart clothing. I am so tired today and really, really angry. I hope people in Tate and Benson put in their support of the license reviews.
Monday 4 January 2016 2.14am
some scathing reviews about EV on trip advisor should hopefully hit them in the pocket .....
Monday 4 January 2016 9.50pm
Well even though I complain about the noise, I do still eat at EV. However, the last time I took a group there, the food was nothing to write home about. It was the same stuff they always do, but it was like formula canteen food.
Monday 4 January 2016 10.15pm
Sorry to intervene as I am not affected by the noise, but do understand how devastating it must be if you are close by.

Like Karen I eat at EV and have always found them pleasant and helpful. I also think in Anatolian terms, they are community based and i just wonder if anyone has approached them directly to understand the impact they are having on the local community. It may be they are purely focussed on profit, which the Turks in Green Lane are, but there is a chance they would respond to a soft community approach. If anyone is interested I could talk to them and see if they would listen to the problems they are causing.

Would anyone be interested in that approach?
Tuesday 5 January 2016 12.23am
I have gone down several times to ask them to turn the music down so they are very aware that we can hear them. The council has been meeting with them for over a year now and they have not complied with their requests and that is why their license is under review. A neighbour went down this morning to talk to them about the noise and behaviour of their patrons this weekend. They denied it was them - they were the only bar open on one of the nights in question. He asked them why they didn't sweep up all the broken glass on Sunday morning after a particularly rowdy party on Saturday night. They said it wasn't anything to do with them and it wasn't their job. Even though their license is under review, they still had a live band playing the other night long after midnight which is past their permitted time. Theedy, you say they are community based, on what do you base this?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions