London SE1 community website

Cllr Dan Garfield - cyclists are murderers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Friday 5 August 2011 1.40pm
Make the Congestion Charge 50 a day? Might work in central London at least!
Sunday 7 August 2011 11.35am
Cllr Garfield gets paid 8,357 a year to Chair the scrutiny sub-committee that covers transport. I don't think it's unreasonable that he refrains from such extreme prejudice towards a key mode of sustainable transport.

In fact, I think his comments show a lack of impartiality that should disqualify him from holding this position.
Sunday 7 August 2011 12.54pm
Thanks for posting this James.

People may be interested to know that despite having one of London's highest cycle accident rates and highest levels of child obesity, Southwark Council has decided two weeks ago to OPPOSE ALL new cycle paths, except in exceptional circumstances.

It has also decided to REMOVE all existing cycle paths,as it introduces 20mph zones, when relaying surfacing.

The official Southwark Council line is they want to mix children, pensioners, vulnerable and adult cyclists with Articulated Trucks, cars, double-decker buses etc in order to slow the traffic down!!!!!!!!!!
(The official speak refers to "more interactions between cyclists and cars".)

Following a deputation that I led to Southwark's Cabinet Committee they have agreed to re-visit cycling issues at a cabinet meeting in October. I was impressed that Cllr John was at least willing to accept that these issues needed proper examination.
It is not the cyclists who are murderous (like all road users there are bad cyclists) but Southwark Council which is stuck in the 1950's in relation to protecting our kids on our streets.

Maybe if Cllr Garfield was threatened with facilitating manslaughter for the next fatality on one of the roads the council failed to install a safe cycle lane on, something might finally happen in Southwark?
Sunday 7 August 2011 1.26pm
Thanks Donnachadh,

Quite - Southwark, and SE1, has so much to gain from reasserting our use of our streets as places to live, not places for people from outer London to drive through.

I was furious to read Cllr Garfields comment because they don't stand in isolation, I see them in the context to the mess at the elephant and castle junction, the money wasted on unusable or dangerous infrastructure, the shared use /do nothing policy and the many micro bits of bureaucratic nonsense that are standing in the way of making this borough all it can be.

I'm very aware and grateful for of all the great work you're doing at Southwark Cyclists and I've been trying to attend your meeting for a long time, will make it soon!
Sunday 7 August 2011 4.29pm
jamesup wrote:
Quite - Southwark, and SE1, has so much to gain from reasserting our use of our streets as places to live, not places for people from outer London to drive through.

Amen. Brilliantly put.
Sunday 7 August 2011 7.35pm
i dare anyone to try and cross the road at any of the crossings around camberwell green and/or denmark hill. perfect examples of 'road share' between cars and buses, regardless of traffic lights, 'pedestrian' crossings and other nuisances.
Sunday 7 August 2011 7.37pm
Yes - couldn't agree more re. the use of our streets as commuting express-ways... But then I live on Southwark Bridge Road - try crossing that between 8 and 9am in the morning, and you run the gauntlet of cyclists, taxis and delivery lorries at your peril!

I've always found it annoying (although not surprising, given the geographical distribution of the ruling elite in relation to central London, throughout the key motorway-building decades) that the only way out of London to the South is through single carriageway shopping high streets and residential areas. West has the A40 and the M4, North has the M1, East has the A1. Boo!
Sunday 7 August 2011 7.54pm
Well we were going to get all sorts of motorways up this way, but the plans for The Ring roads gradually fell apart, then there was no where to extend the M23 and others too. It's a fascinating story if you like that sort of thing. Very funny video about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEHWhO_HdY
Sunday 7 August 2011 8.46pm
Donnachadh McCarthy wrote:
People may be interested to know that despite having one of London's highest cycle accident rates and highest levels of child obesity, Southwark Council has decided two weeks ago to OPPOSE ALL new cycle paths, except in exceptional circumstances.
It has also decided to REMOVE all existing cycle paths,as it introduces 20mph zones, when relaying surfacing.

Good. Cycle lanes, by and large, don't work. They make cycling more dangerous, not safer, and doubly so by creating a false sense of security.

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/research.html
Sunday 7 August 2011 9.43pm
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions