London SE1 community website

Riots

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Monday 8 August 2011 10.52pm
I agree that a large problem of part of today's youth is that they don't feel part of society. For some, this may come from the fact that they are children or even grandchildren of people who met their obligations, but still don't seem to qualify for entitlement. I am not one of them, but I know plenty, and although their children won't be out looting tonight, I know there is a deep sense of disenfranchisement.
Monday 8 August 2011 10.53pm
Trip is just posting to be inflammatory.

Do not feed the troll is my advice. :)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Monday 8 August 2011 10.56pm
Trip Jarvis wrote:
I tell you what, the attitude of some of the people on here stinks. I'm not involved in the rioting, but I can tell you exactly why it's happened. I'm a young person and I have a degree from the University of California, and even I can't even get a job. Explain THAT.
The arrogance of this country towards its young people is breathtaking. And yet they still stick by their guns even while their entire city burns.

The bottom line is: these young people have no compunctions about smashing up your society - because they don't feel part of it.

Yeah like, I got no job innit? And I is like a yoof wiv no future. What I really need to smash the system is a new pair of Nikes and a new PS3, innit!
Oh do stop, TripJarvis. I am not attacking the youth. There are many, many fine youngsters out there who are well behaved and hard working. The scum who are doing this are not interested in work. They look up to hoodlums like Duggan and want to be like them.
Monday 8 August 2011 10.56pm
Let's just support each other at this time. We can deal with the political/social fallout after this has stopped. Now focus your energies to make sure your friends and neighbours are OK - look out for people who need help.
Monday 8 August 2011 11.04pm
People get dismissed as bleeding heart brigade do gooders, but if we'd listened to them in the 80's/90's, maybe this kind of crap wouldn't happen today. That's taking responsibility too. Sticking your head in the sand whilst spouting cliches doesn't help. If I spot any kids in my area, I'll probably face up to them in one way or other, but we should never have let it come this far, and now we have to leave it to the police to fight our battles for us.
Monday 8 August 2011 11.11pm
red_bus wrote:
Trip is just posting to be inflammatory.
Do not feed the troll is my advice. :)

Yeah, don't engage the yoof! What do they know, unwashed oiks! They just need to get off their backsides and get a job. Sorry, unpaid internship.

And where have his crazy ideas come from anyways? There's no problem! It's not like the city is burning or anything...!

Crisis? What crisis?
Tuesday 9 August 2011 3.14am
Hi Everyone...we are watching and hearing about all the violence happening in your beautiful part of the world... our thoughts are with you all and hope there is some resolution soon! There are so many reasons for this sort of behaviour...but no matter what the reason... it is just unacceptable and solves nothing! Bring in the army, round them all up and sentence them to community service, helping people who really deserve our attention or make them WORK cleaning up all the destruction they have caused. It's called consequences for bad behaviour... something a lot of parents of any class don't follow up on these days!

Cheers and Kind Thoughts...

Di Porter Australia
Tuesday 9 August 2011 5.43am
leave the wreckage as it is ...no rebuilding and let those vandals who did the damage live with the sight of their actions for years to come. i for one object to being expected to pay to have these "communities rebuilt" (Clegg's words). on another matter what ever happened to "teenagers"? since when did the pc crowd impose the term "young people" in its place? hate it
Tuesday 9 August 2011 8.41am
Pieces of Eight wrote:
Yes, I have relatives in the North of Ireland and was there many times in the bad old days. I assume by your Gaelic word play that that is where you have seen it as well. It sticks in my craw that the British government have no problems with firing rubber bullets at rioters in Belfast and Derry, but will not use them against rioters here.

It sticks in Patrick Mercer's gullet too - see front page of the Telgraph.

Is it middle class for the Greens to object to spending more money on policing, or just wishy-washy soft-left stupidity?

I feel very sorry for Trip. I know rather too many young people in his situation. People with degrees from top English Universities as well. As a nation we have been over-spending since 1997 and now we have to repay the debt. We have completely failed people of Trip's generation. Those ten years younger than him will be in an even worse position.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions