London SE1 community website

Riots

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Tuesday 9 August 2011 9.19am
As will older people when the pension promises don't turn up either...policticians have been lying to everyone for the last 30 odd years...and spending far too much instead of being honest about what is affordable giving people the wrong all the wrong expectations...and now the bill has turned up and there's no money to pay it.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 9.54pm
Thought I'd just join in and say that, as a pensioner, I think this thread has lots of good stuff in it. ie don't let the rioters get away with it, but also see why they are so disaffected.

I could post for hours, but won't.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 10.05pm
theedy wrote:
Thought I'd just join in and say that, as a pensioner, I think this thread has lots of good stuff in it. ie don't let the rioters get away with it, but also see why they are so disaffected.
I could post for hours, but won't.

Let me have a wee stab at why they are "disaffected". They are by and large unemployed and, dare i say it, unemployable. They want the new phones, tellys, trainers etc but do not want to attain them the old-fashioned way (work, get salary, buy). They have noted these past couple of days that plod is ineffective at dealing with looters, so they have been able to amass their ill-gotten gains with very little fear of retribution. They have also learned that in the unlikely event of being nicked, they will have their wrists smacked, told not to do it again and sent on their merry way. They have not only crapped on our doorstep, they are now rubbing our noses in it.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 10.19pm
To be fair, do we really know who exactly the rioters are? I have heard every age group between 7 and 47 mentioned. Judging by the images released, the are not a particular race either. Some are dressed in Primark, others in expensive sport brands. Who says David Gilmour's son is not at it again?
Tuesday 9 August 2011 10.21pm
Charlie Gilmour is in prison currently so I doubt he's out there raising hell!
Tuesday 9 August 2011 10.28pm
If you have a Reddit account then please, PLEASE upvote this!

http://www.reddit.com/r/london/comments/jdy9d/a_brilliant_idea_for_identifying_the_london/

That's my Dad btw. :)

http://www.futuretimeline.net - a timeline of future history
Tuesday 9 August 2011 10.37pm
nevermore wrote:
Charlie Gilmour is in prison currently so I doubt he's out there raising hell!
Yeah, that was meant in the sense of rich daddy's kids in general, your Gilmours, Ferrys, etc.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 10.42pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
To be fair, do we really know who exactly the rioters are? I have heard every age group between 7 and 47 mentioned. Judging by the images released, the are not a particular race either. Some are dressed in Primark, others in expensive sport brands. Who says David Gilmour's son is not at it again?

Hence the comment "by and large". As regards kids wearing expensive sport brands, perhaps they've just nicked them out of a shop! I stand by my supposition that the vast majority of them are unemployed and more importantly, unemployable. With regard to race, agreed. Layabout scum come in all colours.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 11.02pm
I do not agree that we have failed the younger generation. They are fed and kept warm by hard working tax payers. They should be grateful and not looking for others to blame. Many countries do not have benefit system like ours. Young people work just about any jobs to help support family. Out of desperation, they steal, yes but they steal food not designer items. The law is strict and enforced. Hence, they are highly unlikely to do anything stupid like looting. Looting designer items is not a way of campaigning for their lack of support, etc. It shows greed.

Our law is lawless. Police should be given the rights to do their job properly. Telling the thugs to disperse and stop rioting whilst watching them setting cars and buildings on fire, making others homeless and jobless. Since when such policing ever worked in any country? Common sense should prevail. The police should shoot with plastic pellets after three verbal warning. The culprits should be made to work on roads, clean the streets, their local estates and public toilets, decorate nursing homes in need of care now, clear the bins, etc. This will help them to learn some skills whilst repaying to the society, and reduce our council tax.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 11.11pm
The politicians and law makers should be hands on not just talk and talk and more discussion on tele. We need action now to make people feel safe. We need order in our country and the police should start shooting plastic pellets at the thugs. Out numbering the thugs alone will not solve the problem. We need stricter law to protect the people not the 'human rights' of the thugs.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions