London SE1 community website

Riots

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10
Tuesday 9 August 2011 11.14pm
kaptau wrote:
I do not agree that we have failed the younger generation. They are fed and kept warm by hard working tax payers. They should be grateful and not looking for others to blame. Many countries do not have benefit system like ours. Young people work just about any jobs to help support family. Out of desperation, they steal, yes but they steal food not designer items. The law is strict and enforced. Hence, they are highly unlikely to do anything stupid like looting. Looting designer items is not a way of campaigning for their lack of support, etc. It shows greed.
Our law is lawless. Police should be given the rights to do their job properly. Telling the thugs to disperse and stop rioting whilst watching them setting cars and buildings on fire, making others homeless and jobless. Since when such policing ever worked in any country? Common sense should prevail. The police should shoot with plastic pellets after three verbal warning. The culprits should be made to work on roads, clean the streets, their local estates and public toilets, decorate nursing homes in need of care now, clear the bins, etc. This will help them to learn some skills whilst repaying to the society, and reduce our council tax.

This is not Les Miserables, you know. What if, rather than using the stuff they nicked for themselves, these people sell it on ebay or gumtree for example? There's a lot of presumption and prejudice going on. I am primarily opposed to this because I believe it leads to the actual culprits getting away with crime, rather than because of my bleeding liberal do gooder heart.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 11.28pm
I am not into any kind of bullets- but, and now I am going to sound like my dad etc but- if any looters- muggers- whatever, ever (fairley) come to justice- what will happen- prisons are full- nobody has any limitations- they won't be brought to any justice that will deter them from doing it again- few weeks comminity service-etc. If that !

They do it, because chances are they will get away with it- I love and promote protest/annarchy- BUT this is mindless greed and thuggery- aggresion and pointless destrution. HOWEVER, they will eat the selves- there are so may more good people in the world than bad-And we must take a stand against these idiots.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 11.29pm
Riots continue and the thugs know they can get away with it because of our soft approach. A crime is a crime and they must pay for it even if it means looting designer goods to sell online. Until they are punished and learnt skill whilst being punished to help build their character, they will never change.
Tuesday 9 August 2011 11.37pm
PS- yesterday I heard the best conversation ever on the 21 bus
Lovely Jamaican Woman - on her mobile- obvioulsy talking about someone she and the other end (phone) had seen on tv being a looter/rioter- after about two mins of having shock - about it was him on the telly -
HE'S NOT DISENFECTED YOUTH THOUGH-ISN'T IT. HE WENT TO PRIVATE SCHOOL IN PETERBROUGH.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 6.31am
soon we will hear calls for "the government" to pay for the repair to the damage 'from Manchester to Birmingham to Peckham and Croydon. Thats right folks - you and me...and those who did the rioting pay nothing. all was quiet last night but those scum are still robbing us and looting society with impunity
Wednesday 10 August 2011 7.44am
kaptau wrote:
kaptau wrote:
I do not agree that we have failed the younger generation. They are fed and kept warm by hard working tax payers. They should be grateful and not looking for others to blame. Many countries do not have benefit system like ours. Young people work just about any jobs to help support family. Out of desperation, they steal, yes but they steal food not designer items. The law is strict and enforced. Hence, they are highly unlikely to do anything stupid like looting. Looting designer items is not a way of campaigning for their lack of support, etc. It shows greed.
Our law is lawless. Police should be given the rights to do their job properly. Telling the thugs to disperse and stop rioting whilst watching them setting cars and buildings on fire, making others homeless and jobless. Since when such policing ever worked in any country? Common sense should prevail. The police should shoot with plastic pellets after three verbal warning. The culprits should be made to work on roads, clean the streets, their local estates and public toilets, decorate nursing homes in need of care now, clear the bins, etc. This will help them to learn some skills whilst repaying to the society, and reduce our council tax.
It seems to me that as this generation obviously has no respect for us the older generation,their piers who they would most likely take notice of would be in the pop/media culture area,if the likes of Bob Geldof and live aid could come out and talk about what real poverty in the third world is and reason that there is by comparison with the benefit culture in the UK, no way is there true poverty in Britain,nobody in our cultures need go hungry,having recently returned from Asia and seen real poverty and the desperation in the kids eyes first hand,these UK kids shown on TV claiming their in poverty are having a laugh ,they don't live in the real world.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 7.59am
Can i ask how people with young children are explaining what is going on to them-my 10 year old is quite scared seeing the distruction to local places and the news coverage and worries that people are going to burn down our area. I have tried to explain that there are no electrical goods shops, JD sports etc on Long Lane but he is still worrying and i am not sure how else to reassure
Jac
Wednesday 10 August 2011 8.57am
Thats a very good point dee dee and no easy answer. I had to deal with something similar during the London bombings my kids were scared (especially after a controlled explosion was carried out out side primary school my youngest jumped at loud noises for ages) . You have to just try explain it as best as you can, as i did then and help them get a sense of perspective , as you don't want them growing up scared to live in their own community.

Now mine are at home waiting exam results and along with their friends who are choosing to stay in at home rather than enjoying themselves out with their mates as they should and would normally be doing this week and having to listen to the world tell them how dreadful the youth of today are. No need to for me to check where they are, (although of course I do) rioting is not their idea of fun and believe me they and their friends and many other youths no doubt, are just as angry at the rioters as you and me are.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 9.06am
As well as the reassurance you've already given him, maybe you could tell him about the numbers of people who aren't involved in the rioting and are coming out on the streets to clean up, check on neighbours, protect property etc? There are plenty of positive stories and images on YouTube, and elsewhere on the internet. You could say that it's frightening to see the destruction but that most people are against it, and would help each other if they saw them in trouble. It helps kids' confidence to see the whole picture - including the fact that they're not alone in feeling frightened. You'll know your own son best, but I hope this might help a bit.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 9.38am
Not long ago I said on another topic regarding crime, that if there is no respect for the law, then some people will not hesitate to break it. What we are seeing now is not simple disrespect for the law, it's downright contempt for its impotence. I heard a youth on the radio this morning, talking from Manchester, saying that he intends to go on looting until he gets caught, because it's such easy pickings. He bragged that because he had no criminal record to date, the police didn't know him.
Quote: "If I do get caught what are they gonna do? The prisons are full, so they'll probably just slap an ASBO on me. I can handle that."
If we are to believe what we hear about kids as young as ten years old being involved in looting in the dead of night, when they should be tucked up in their little wooden beds, then punish the parents. They are responsible for the action of their children. Fine them....Heavilly. They'll soon get fed up with that and then maybe keep their kids under control.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions