London SE1 community website

Riots

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Current: 10 of 10
Wednesday 10 August 2011 9.54am
I wonder if the ten year old will be D>N>A tested? apparently they can legally do it at that age. my friends child at 12 was after stealing a bottle tango and a sandwich from sainsbury's.

Because this is a public forum I will not state what I would like to do to these sub human species who set fire to buildings with people living in them.attempted murder should be the charge.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 10.07am
chalkey wrote:
punish the parents. They are responsible for the action of their children. Fine them....Heavilly. They'll soon get fed up with that and then maybe keep their kids under control.

Ok, and how will many of those people pay? Benefit cuts, or take a slice of their wages so getting by becomes more difficult, creating more resentment?

It may have been the same kid I heard this morning saying to the effect that, when they do go home they may get shouted at, but they could deal with that, and their parents could not stop them coming and going as they pleased. I suspect many of the parents (those are not complicit in their kids behaviour) are as intimidated by them as the rest of us, and miserably inadequate at responding to their behaviour.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 10.40am
My friend is absolutely terrified of her own daughter now. She was once a very sweet little girl. Unfortunately, she mixed with the wrong crowd and threatened to call NSPCC when her mother slapped her once. Parents and teachers are helpless and afraid to discipline her in case they get into troubles with the law. Family tried to spend time with her and talk to her but to no avail.

Unless the law is changed to be tougher on crimes and police is allowed to shoot with pellets or use water cannon, riots will continue because these people know they can get away with it. Increasing the number of police officers, containing the thugs or dispersing them will only deter them temporarily. These are not long term solution. The police can't be there all year round. They are afraid to do their job. Hence, standing by to watch shops being looted in case they are being accused of being heavy handed.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 10.56am
I hear what you're saying, Janefs, and it would pose a few problems. But I doubt if there is a genuine one-size-fits-all punishment for any crime.
If the 'couldn't care less' parents got a wake up call, they wouldn't need to be fined more than once. (The good old fashioned short, sharp shock.)
As for feral, out of control young people who terrorise their own households, then perhaps a return to some of the other old fashioned methods might do the trick.
I used to roll my eyes back in the 1960's, when my dad used to say, "Bring back national service." as the mods and rockers terrorised our beaches on bank holiday weekends. I'm sure that wouldn't work in today's day and age, but as no one seems to be able to come up with a better idea, perhaps the powers that be should consider drafting some of these thugs. The things they all seem to lack are discipline, respect,guidance and something to do during the day other than sit in front of their X-Boxes or roam the streets. A stint in the army could provide all of these things. Or would that be in breach of their human rights?
Wednesday 10 August 2011 11.57am
Maybe, in the first instance clear guidance from the Government/Police about appropriate domestic punitave measures that can be taken since corporal punishment is off the agenda. And what to do if the parents have lost control.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 12.17pm
Hi everyone,

Sorry for lack of update yesterday - it all got rather busy and we were all obviously so relieved there was no disorder last night.

After the emergency situation meeting at Tooley Street, I spent the late afternoon and evening touring Grange ward with Councillors Linda Manchester and Anood Al-Samerai, talking to businesses who had decided to remain open on the Old Kent Road and Bermondsey Street. Most were in very good spirits.

I thought it would be helpful to share the 1pm update from the council here.

Thanks,

Mark

Update at 1pm

General situation

The borough emergency control centre was established in Tooley Street yesterday evening, but was stood down at 9pm. This is because there were no reported disorder incidents across Southwark last night (Tuesday). We continue to closely monitor the situation with our partners but the approach is one of business as usual for the council.

Services

All services are running normally, although the cash offices at Bournemouth Road and Walworth Road are closed today. Rye Lane remains partially closed and is expected to remain so for the next few days.

Community meeting

A meeting attended by around 70 people, including councillors, Cabinet Members, community representatives and leaders, was held at Tooley Street yesterday. The borough commander Wayne Chance said that there had been 50 arrests in Southwark in what he described as the "most serious public disorder this borough had ever seen". He praised the actions of his colleagues, partners and community leaders.

Volunteers

There has been a great community response with groups and individuals spontaneously coming out to assist in the clear up. The council has written to community groups to say that if anyone wishes to volunteer, or that they need some help from volunteers then they are to let us know on 0207 525 5000 and we will put people in touch with one another.

Businesses

Practical business advise is still being distributed to businesses and information is being gathered about the level of insurance cover to see if there is any lobbying that the council can do to ensure affected businesses can survive. A meeting will also be arranged in the near future to discuss business needs.

Investigation

The police have posted images of people they would like to speak to about the disorder seen across London. http://www.met.police.uk/disordersuspects/ Anyone with information should call the new police number 101. Always dial 999 in an emergency.

Cllr Ian Wingfield (Cabinet Member for Housing) has also issued the following statement today:

"We deplore completely the criminal acts that were carried out earlier this week and those who are found to be responsible must face the consequences of their actions. As a council we will seek, within the confines of the law, the eviction of anyone living in a council property who is found guilty of these crimes."

Leader's visit

The Leader has issued the following statement: "Yesterday I visited Peckham and listened to residentsí concerns over the violent disturbances the previous evening and I would like to again praise the extraordinary efforts of the police, volunteers and local people who have demonstrated the strength in our community. The spirit of the people of this Borough will triumph over the disgraceful actions displayed by a mindless minority".

March

The proposed March for Justice for Demetre Fraser, scheduled to take place on Saturday, August 13, in Peckham has been postponed by the organisers who said they couldn't guarantee public safety.

Updates

There are no further updates planned at this time, but we will of course keep this under review if the situation in the borough changes. If you have any comments then I would be grateful for any feedback.

Mark Gettleson
Liberal Democrat Councillor for Grange Ward
(and Tanner Street resident)

mark.gettleson@southwark.gov.uk
www.twitter.com/markgettleson
Wednesday 10 August 2011 2.18pm
Appreciate this. Thanks, Mark.
Saturday 10 September 2011 10.20pm
This is not directly related with SE1, at least apparently...

Has anyone visited the centre (Leicester sq...) lately?

How things have changed so much in few years?

It was around midnight, and Police cops are everywhere in mass and different uniforms. What struck me is the amount of teenagers who walked around and bullied them, like they have the right to do so. In the space of an hour I have seen three groups of teens confronting the police with words or aggressive behaviors, and several other examples of defying attitudes.

I have no easy answers but lot of doubts.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Current: 10 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions