London SE1 community website

Riots

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10
Monday 8 August 2011 8.03pm
I want to see the police armed with rubber bullets and water cannon on the streets - now.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.04pm
Back to reality..

There are huge fires going on right now in Croydon and the fire brigade is nowhere to be seen and the police have abandoned. No ambulances either. Pathetic. They've all been sent to North London. It's a strategic mess.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.06pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
aoibhneas wrote:
I don't know if Pieces of Eight is trolling or serious but I can't see how his/opinions expressed in this thread are in any way helpful.

I am certainly not trolling and I am very serious. I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of working every day, paying my taxes and generally playing by the rules of civilised society while I see a growing underclass of individuals swaggering around with their pitbulls and aggressive attitude. They have absolutely no interest in working or engaging with their wider community and seemingly taking pride in being pig ignorant. Meanwhile, middle-class tw*ts look for "reasons" and blaming this lawlessness on "poverty" and "exclusion". Absolute twaddle.

I am unclear whether you are one of the middle class you suggest are justifying it or one of the working class single mums actually responsible for the riots but I think there maybe some more varieties of people out there. I will say when I've been near some of these rioters (the ones in Soho particularly) there was a good contingent of posh kids rebelling against mummy and daddy. Whatever the situation the rioting is unacceptable. The looting is unacceptable. Suggesting that the people doing it are children of single parents or jobless or anything else is pointless and suggesting that those kind of people would do this as virtually a matter of course without any kind of motivation or reason is... well plainly wrong.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.14pm
I just heard Ken Livingstone too. He's offering solutions. I think that beats offering lazy generalisations, as Tolstoy says, and ugly, aggressive name-calling. Really, it doesn't help to meet violence with violence. Which isn't to say that I've got any personal sympathy with the rioters. I haven't.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.26pm
Although I agree that Pieces of Eight was being a bit of a troll earlier I must agree with him that Ken Livingstone seems totally out of touch with the situation. Ken was just pushing the party line rather than providing operational, tactical thinking, the kind of thinking that puts senior police officers under pressure to resolve this in a smart way.

By the way I must mention that the Croydon firefighters that arrived on the scene shortly after my post above are being incredibly brave right now. We need more of this from the police also. Ken should have pushed that line.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.47pm
Clapham High Streets has hit off. Been going on for an hour. Police nowhere to be seen.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.48pm
Probably Ken should've been a little more constructive. But it's not really his place to be. He's not in charge. We have to rely on the decisive and strong leadership of Boris...

When he gets back of course... sometime soon... probably.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.50pm
Ken is really being a total t**t. Pathetic attempt to make political capital.

The footage filmed by the Sky reporter on their phone in Clapham is astonishing.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.52pm
aoibhneas wrote:
Really, it doesn't help to meet violence with violence.

I would have to say in this instance, violence (in the form of baton rounds, water cannon and pepper spray really would help. The reason why this pond life are doing what they are doing is they feel that there are no consequences to their actions. If they feel invulnerable now, they will eventually turn their attentions to people's homes. If they start hanging around your door, what are you going to do, read them poetry? It needs to be stamped out now.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.54pm
we are so weak...anywhere else the police would crack a few skulls and make these yobs scared... but here its so predictable...we need martial law now and arrest the lot of them
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions