London SE1 community website

Riots

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10
Monday 8 August 2011 8.58pm
Didn't hear what Ken had to say, nor am I particularly interested. I want to hear from our so-called leaders, Boris and Dave, but they've both been dragging their feet interrupting their comfy holidays. Not good.
Monday 8 August 2011 8.59pm
Quite frankly Boris should have arrived on the scene as soon as he could after the first night. To my knowledge he has not made any kind of statement to camera. He has not pushed for water canons or the services of the army. This is the third day of riots and he is nowhere to be seen.
Monday 8 August 2011 9.00pm
dronid wrote:
Probably Ken should've been a little more constructive. But it's not really his place to be. He's not in charge. We have to rely on the decisive and strong leadership of Boris...
When he gets back of course... sometime soon... probably.

BoJo is no better. Just listening to his deputy, Kit Malthouse saying that they have no water cannon. Quick tip Kit, give the PSNI a call in Belfast. They can put some on the Larne-Stranraer ferry tonight. They can be in London tomorrow evening. Or give the French riot police a call, they'll show you how it's done.
Monday 8 August 2011 9.12pm
Lots of kids walking past mine on Fort Road carrying televisions and bags of clothes... All of them with hoods up
Monday 8 August 2011 9.18pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
dronid wrote:
Probably Ken should've been a little more constructive. But it's not really his place to be. He's not in charge. We have to rely on the decisive and strong leadership of Boris...
When he gets back of course... sometime soon... probably.

BoJo is no better. Just listening to his deputy, Kit Malthouse saying that they have no water cannon. Quick tip Kit, give the PSNI a call in Belfast. They can put some on the Larne-Stranraer ferry tonight. They can be in London tomorrow evening. Or give the French riot police a call, they'll show you how it's done.

To be honest the comment "the decisive and strong leadership of Boris" was meant ironically (indeed I'm not sure how it could be taken any other way given he'd prefer to be having a tartiflette on the piste than dealing with the biggest riots and civil unrest London has seen for 25 years. He 'trusts the police to manage the situation' so wouldn't return. I don't know what's changed and how he's lost his 'trust' but now he's coming back and... well I'm not sure what he's capable of doing apart from acting as an effective draft excluder. Maybe he's here to be David Cameron's human shield?
Monday 8 August 2011 9.18pm
Tesco Surrey Quays closed as well.
Monday 8 August 2011 9.22pm
glen_se1 wrote:
Lots of kids walking past mine on Fort Road carrying televisions and bags of clothes... All of them with hoods up

Something must have been going on close to then, they couldn't have walked far with TV's.
Monday 8 August 2011 9.25pm
can you imagine this kind of thing in France...Italy...Russia...? we have emasculated the police in this country. no-one is scared of them and that lack of fear has given rise to this lawlessness
Monday 8 August 2011 9.25pm
Davies wrote:
glen_se1 wrote:
Lots of kids walking past mine on Fort Road carrying televisions and bags of clothes... All of them with hoods up

Something must have been going on close to then, they couldn't have walked far with TV's.

Currys/Tesco/Sports shop Old Kent Road?
Monday 8 August 2011 9.27pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
aoibhneas wrote:
Really, it doesn't help to meet violence with violence.

I would have to say in this instance, violence (in the form of baton rounds, water cannon and pepper spray really would help. The reason why this pond life are doing what they are doing is they feel that there are no consequences to their actions. If they feel invulnerable now, they will eventually turn their attentions to people's homes. If they start hanging around your door, what are you going to do, read them poetry? It needs to be stamped out now.

I doubt if poetry would save me, but I shouldn't think calling them abusive names would help much either. Of course, you probably wouldn't do that to their faces...

Have you ever been directly involved in riot situations policed by rubber bullets and baton rounds? I have. Rioting kids are stupid and most of them think they're invulnerable. You may drive them home that way, but those you don't actually hospitalise are given a bigger, better grievance. So next night they're out again, with weapons. And, eventually, they get martyrs.

Water canon make some sense. But only when the public's actually begging for them, and the arsonists and looters are beginning to feel marginalised. (Right about now feels convincing. And even then, with a thinly-stretched police force with morale problems, things can go horribly wrong.

Granted, Livingstone made a few political points. But, in my opinion, he offered more than political posturing. Theresa May told us that rioting's 'completely unacceptable' and made ominous noises about cctv cameras. All I heard was a heavy couple of heavy thuds as a politician dumped the problem on the police-force.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions