London SE1 community website

Riots

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10
Monday 8 August 2011 9.28pm
dronid wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
aoibhneas wrote:
I don't know if Pieces of Eight is trolling or serious but I can't see how his/opinions expressed in this thread are in any way helpful.

I am certainly not trolling and I am very serious. I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of working every day, paying my taxes and generally playing by the rules of civilised society while I see a growing underclass of individuals swaggering around with their pitbulls and aggressive attitude. They have absolutely no interest in working or engaging with their wider community and seemingly taking pride in being pig ignorant. Meanwhile, middle-class tw*ts look for "reasons" and blaming this lawlessness on "poverty" and "exclusion". Absolute twaddle.

I am unclear whether you are one of the middle class you suggest are justifying it or one of the working class single mums actually responsible for the riots but I think there maybe some more varieties of people out there. I will say when I've been near some of these rioters (the ones in Soho particularly) there was a good contingent of posh kids rebelling against mummy and daddy. Whatever the situation the rioting is unacceptable. The looting is unacceptable. Suggesting that the people doing it are children of single parents or jobless or anything else is pointless and suggesting that those kind of people would do this as virtually a matter of course without any kind of motivation or reason is... well plainly wrong.

I'm neither. I'm Bermondsey born and bred working class, from a poor background, but I had a mum and dad who taught me right from wrong. My point about the nouveau ignorant is that they are a growing group who actually take a huge pride in being unsociable and stupid. Whether they're rioting/looting or not, I'm just sick of looking at them. They get moved in to good, well-kept housing estates and go out of their way to ruin the place. The council should round them all up and put them in one estate all on their own. Let them p*ss in the lifts and allow their dogs to crap on the grass play areas. Encourage them to play their music loud until 4 in the morning, whilst tearing lumps out of each other. On the proviso that they are kept within that one estate.
Monday 8 August 2011 9.37pm
dronid wrote:
Davies wrote:
glen_se1 wrote:
Lots of kids walking past mine on Fort Road carrying televisions and bags of clothes... All of them with hoods up

Something must have been going on close to then, they couldn't have walked far with TV's.

Currys/Tesco/Sports shop Old Kent Road?

Have seen pictures of Argos just on OKR looking like it's been done over, lots of stuff on twitter about those shops there being looted, but have learnt to only believe pictures I see on twitter at the moment (otherwise I would be led to believe that Tesco / Currys / Argos are all on fire right now...)
Monday 8 August 2011 9.38pm
dronid wrote:
Davies wrote:
glen_se1 wrote:
Lots of kids walking past mine on Fort Road carrying televisions and bags of clothes... All of them with hoods up

Something must have been going on close to then, they couldn't have walked far with TV's.

Currys/Tesco/Sports shop Old Kent Road?

Possibly, there's some stuff here with a picture of Argos: http://thewestlondoner.wordpress.com/

And Tescos had a smashed window this morning from last night. Looked like they'd managed to repel boarders that time happily.

Pray for heavy rain chaps.
Monday 8 August 2011 9.44pm
aoibhneas wrote:
Pieces of Eight wrote:
aoibhneas wrote:
Really, it doesn't help to meet violence with violence.

I would have to say in this instance, violence (in the form of baton rounds, water cannon and pepper spray really would help. The reason why this pond life are doing what they are doing is they feel that there are no consequences to their actions. If they feel invulnerable now, they will eventually turn their attentions to people's homes. If they start hanging around your door, what are you going to do, read them poetry? It needs to be stamped out now.

I doubt if poetry would save me, but I shouldn't think calling them abusive names would help much either. Of course, you probably wouldn't do that to their faces...

Have you ever been directly involved in riot situations policed by rubber bullets and baton rounds? I have. Rioting kids are stupid and most of them think they're invulnerable. You may drive them home that way, but those you don't actually hospitalise are given a bigger, better grievance. So next night they're out again, with weapons. And, eventually, they get martyrs.

Water canon make some sense. But only when the public's actually begging for them, and the arsonists and looters are beginning to feel marginalised. (Right about now feels convincing. And even then, with a thinly-stretched police force with morale problems, things can go horribly wrong.

Granted, Livingstone made a few political points. But, in my opinion, he offered more than political posturing. Theresa May told us that rioting's 'completely unacceptable' and made ominous noises about cctv cameras. All I heard was a heavy couple of heavy thuds as a politician dumped the problem on the police-force.

Yes, I have relatives in the North of Ireland and was there many times in the bad old days. I assume by your Gaelic word play that that is where you have seen it as well. It sticks in my craw that the British government have no problems with firing rubber bullets at rioters in Belfast and Derry, but will not use them against rioters here.
Monday 8 August 2011 9.49pm
There's a bit here about it 10.46pm: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/08/london-riots-third-night-live

The Turks are holding the line more power to them!
Monday 8 August 2011 9.55pm
Brave lady in Hackney

http://www.twitvid.com/M65AY
Monday 8 August 2011 9.58pm
I like the report from Dalston. The Turkish shopkeepers have the right idea!
Monday 8 August 2011 10.00pm
And the Turkish supermarket in the Walworth Road/Old Kent Road post seems to be the only one left intact for some reason!
Monday 8 August 2011 10.01pm
aoibhneas wrote:
Have you ever been directly involved in riot situations policed by rubber bullets and baton rounds? I have. Rioting kids are stupid and most of them think they're invulnerable. You may drive them home that way, but those you don't actually hospitalise are given a bigger, better grievance. So next night they're out again, with weapons. And, eventually, they get martyrs.

Water canon make some sense. But only when the public's actually begging for them, and the arsonists and looters are beginning to feel marginalised. (Right about now feels convincing. And even then, with a thinly-stretched police force with morale problems, things can go horribly wrong.

Actually I think in this case as opposed to northern Ireland both baton rounds and water cannon would work well. The rioters here are not rioting for any cause but for new boxfresh trainers and iphones. I agree that over-harsh policing can be counter productive. But so can under-aggressive policing and in this case they have the Balance wrong.

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Monday 8 August 2011 10.03pm
+1

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions