London SE1 community website

Riots

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Monday 8 August 2011 10.04pm
Spotted some kids trying to break the Cash machine by the Barclays bank on Tower bridge road/grange road.
Can we perhaps leave the politics till everything has calmed down a bit? This thread could be useful for updating what's going on, it's a little concerning.

Definitely school-age kids, maybe 14 at most.
Monday 8 August 2011 10.15pm
I'd be keener on this for information. I may start a new thread called "Riots - updates and is everyone OK"?
Monday 8 August 2011 10.18pm
Good idea
Monday 8 August 2011 10.28pm
I tell you what, the attitude of some of the people on here stinks. I'm not involved in the rioting, but I can tell you exactly why it's happened. I'm a young person and I have a degree from the University of California, and even I can't even get a job. Explain THAT.

The arrogance of this country towards its young people is breathtaking. And yet they still stick by their guns even while their entire city burns.

The bottom line is: these young people have no compunctions about smashing up your society - because they don't feel part of it.
Monday 8 August 2011 10.37pm
Trip Jarvis wrote:
The bottom line is: these young people have no compunctions about smashing up your society - because they don't feel part of it.

There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations, because there is no such thing as an entitlement unless someone has first met an obligation"
Monday 8 August 2011 10.40pm
Quote:
TripJarvis - I have a degree from the University of California, and even I can't even get a job. Explain THAT

Was that a polytechnic in the 80s? I've never heard of it.
Monday 8 August 2011 10.41pm
johnnyp42 wrote:
and people must look to themselves first

If it's so dog-eat-dog, then good luck fighting off a feral mob of 200 younger people by yourself.

If you treat people like dogs don't be surprised if you get bitten.
Monday 8 August 2011 10.46pm
Trip Jarvis wrote:
johnnyp42 wrote:
and people must look to themselves first

If it's so dog-eat-dog, then good luck fighting off a feral mob of 200 younger people by yourself.

If you treat people like dogs don't be surprised if you get bitten.

The quote in no way suggests that we live in a 'dog-eat-dog' world. It merely suggests that there can be no society unless people take responsibility for their own actions. Enough excuses!
Monday 8 August 2011 10.47pm
Oh good, more fighting. That helps.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions