London SE1 community website

"London's ugliest buildings"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 28 February 2012 10.30am
duncr wrote:
Is there an unknown planning rule in Southwark that copious amounts of glass cladding are compulsory

Greenhouses in the summer,impossible to keep temps down to comfort levels,I would hate to work at a desk in one of those places,city is full of them,characterless.
Tuesday 28 February 2012 12.02pm
Its a simple equation if there is no aesthetic context that has to be observed.
Tenants pay for space by the sqft therefore the developers require their architects to fill up the whole site with building to get the maximum amount of floor space on one floor and then stack the floors as high as the planners will let them to make the most money possible.
This creates deep plan shapes which makes it very dark in the middle of the floorplate so they put in as much window as possible to bring in the light. Then to stop it getting very hot in summer they put in air conditioning.
Thats your modern office in a nutshell since the 1950's.
The only thing that has changed is the ability to have less and less framing as the glazing technology has improved and more recently the demands to reduce energy consumption which has seen more and more designs sprout fins and brise soleil to reduce the solar gains and therefore the amount of cooling required.
Architecture has become a branch of Accountancy not Art!!
Tuesday 28 February 2012 12.23pm
Informative post,and it falls to the humble maintenance man to apologise for it all as the air-con never works to suit everyone in open plan situations.

I would love to add more but i'll only hijack another thread.
Tuesday 28 February 2012 12.57pm
Getting back to Sea Containers. Interestingly it was designed as a hotel but converted to an office building before it was completed and is now, at least in part, being converted back to a hotel???
Tuesday 28 February 2012 1.04pm
As was Red lion court next to the Anchor pub bankside,a nice building that has hotel/residential written all over it,I can see a time that it becomes so as it was originally built for such purposes.

I should add that red lion crt and seacontainers hse were both owned (or at least tennanted) by lloyds TSB.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions