London SE1 community website

Re: Ozu Japanese restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 8 September 2011 2.03pm
Might be worth dropping Ozu a line or a quick phonecall telling them that as a result of the "work" from Captivate Hospitality - they are probably much *less* likely to get custom from local people... :)

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Thursday 8 September 2011 4.40pm
Would local people even consider such a tourist venue? I too would love a quality japanese restaurant in the area.
Thursday 8 September 2011 5.31pm
Steffan's attempt to make light of the affair doesn't mitigate the negative impact this kind of behaviour has on the company's clients.
Thursday 8 September 2011 8.34pm
I happen to know one of the inductees to the Astroturfing hall of shame - at the time he was a 17 old kid who thought he was being clever. His dad wasn't too pleased and he got a stern telling off, but the damage was done. Steffan's "tactic" is uncannily similar. He's a well paid adult who supposedly does this for a living. What's his excuse?
Friday 9 September 2011 8.07am
Tolstoy wrote:
Would local people even consider such a tourist venue? I too would love a quality japanese restaurant in the area.
Do you have a favourite Japanese restaurant (whisper) outside SE1, Tolstoy? Always happy to take recommendations. Mine would be Chisou, Princes St, off Regent St (another touristy place, but that's often where you get J-food. A lot of customers will be either expats or visitors.)

Sorry if this is too far o/t, but I'm hungry.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 9 September 2011 8.21am
I did try and make light of the post. However I do work for Captivate and am working to raise awareness of the restaurant. I have eaten there and loved the food but this meal was free so my opinion is obviously biased. The general consensus on this forum is that my post has had a negative impact - however everyone thought the restaurant had shut down or hadn't heard of it! Whether you decide to try it is up to you - but it's a great restaurant that needs local support.
Friday 9 September 2011 9.43am
Dear 'Steffen'

There is the small matter of the law, which prohibits "falsely claiming or creating the impression that the trader is not acting for purposes relating to his trade, business, craft or profession, or falsely representing oneself as a consumer".

According to this OFT document, that is a criminal offence.

At the very least, posting fake reviews is highly unethical and reflects very poorly on both your employer and your client.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 9 September 2011 11.02am
Steffen Marcus wrote:
I do work for Captivate and am working to raise awareness of the restaurant. I have eaten there and loved the food but this meal was free so my opinion is obviously biased.

So, to recap: you lied. You were paid to lie. You're happy to admit you've lied. You think that this reflects well on your employers, and you are under the impression that this is a good business tactic. You are either ignorant of the fact that it's illegal, or you don't care.

Please go away and don't come back.

(Sorry to everyone apart from Steffen about the abruptness of my post. I wouldn't normally be like this, but Steffen obviously has a thick skin.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 10 September 2011 9.14am
Steffen Marcus wrote:
it's a great restaurant that needs local support.

Great restaurants don't need local support. They have happy customers who return and recommend them.

Faking a good review is plain grubby, and as James and Ivanhoe, illegal.
Zoe
Saturday 10 September 2011 12.10pm
I agree with Lullylush, great restaurants speak for themselves, and this might be a great restaurant as well so it's shame to use fake marketing, which just annoys us.

I remember on a trip to Damascus going to the guide book recommended restaurant which was very blurgh, and I wondered if they had been paid to recommend it.

The next night we went to a really good restuarant we passed on a side street, it was full of Russian soliders in uniform who got drunk and started to dance and sing (hands on hip Russian style and they kicked over the chairs) and wore fur hats. As we looked out the window, UN vehicles passed by, followed by secret police.

Maybe the guide book writer also worked for Captivate, and if you followed his advice you'd miss out on this world of weirdness.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions