London SE1 community website

Re: Ozu Japanese restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Saturday 10 September 2011 12.30pm
I am interested in consumer law as I spend much of my time in China, where consumers have almost no protection from bad trading practices.

Therefore, I've just read through the documents to which James Hatts posted links. It's interesting that the law applies to "traders" defined as "any person who in relation to a commercial practice is acting for purposes relating to his business, and anyone acting in the name of or on behalf of a trader".

I would have thought that "Steffen" and Captivate Hospitality would be covered by the first part of this definition, meaning that their third party status doesn't protect them.

The crime is also "strict liability" meaning there is no defence of ignorance, lack of intent, or being unaware of the impact of what they were doing.

In other circumstances, a possible defence might be "innocent publication", i.e. Captivate Hospitality received the "advert" from Ozu and published it without suspecting its content might be in breach of regulations. However, as Captivate are in the marketing business not the publishing business, I doubt this defence would be credible.

So, "Steffen" are you really content with the possibility that you are committing crime as part of your job?
Saturday 10 September 2011 1.02pm
James - excellent post.

But don't hold your breath for a reply from "Steffen" - he/she is hiding like a coward and licking wounds from the kicking they received here. It also appears they may be more than one person - based on the variable grammar levels of the posts.

The reason I love this forum is that astroturfers are very quickly outed and shamed.

What disreputable advertising companies don't realise is that, once outed, anyone searching for their clients will find this thread - or similar.

For example - I am a tourist interested in "Ozu SE1" - using Google, I will find this...

Click

Notice that this thread is 2nd from the top.

In this situation, if I was Ozu, I would want not only my marketing money back but would possibly seek legal advice because of reputational damage and loss of business.
Saturday 10 September 2011 1.03pm
Don't know how much Ozu pay CH, but I'd be worried about their amateurish approach. These days you can almost smell an Astroturfer miles away, and if Steffen had done a little research, he would have taken a less obvious approach. One major mistake most of these Astroturfers have in common, and which they seem to be heading for like the Titanic for that iceberg, is that they regularly insult SE1 members' intelligence. Shoddy.
Saturday 10 September 2011 1.14pm
A pertinent article from a law firm's website:
http://www.taylorwessing.com/download/article_astroturf.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 10 September 2011 1.15pm
It appears "Steffen" is also know as "Adrian"...

Here
Wednesday 14 September 2011 8.17pm
Ivanhoe, with apologies for not replying sooner, but I had to check if this restaurant was still open as I haven't been in awhile (I generally eat home cooked meals with Japanese friends):

http://www.tarorestaurants.co.uk/

It's not especially fancy looking, but the food experience is authentic. I used to eat regularly at the Brewer St branch.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 9.18pm
I agree on Taro!

If you go to Soho you will find the real Taro... the guy whose face is on the logo.

He looks like a manga Karate superhero udercover, and he is always gentle.

Cheap, simple and good.
Thursday 15 September 2011 7.10am
Cheers, Tolstoy. Feeling hungry already.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 15 September 2011 10.08am
He is indeed at the Brewer St branch and just as square.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions