London SE1 community website

Sainsbury's coming to The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Monday 19 September 2011 5.35pm
La Martinet wrote:
Shame it's not going to be a Little Waitrose. ;)
Yes, there are such things - I've just discovered one lurking round a corner in Holborn. It's been there six or seven weeks apparently.

Happy days!

There's a dinky little Waitrose almost opposite Wimbledon station, which is just around the corner from a brand new giant daddy sized Waitrose.It can be done.Should I happen to be in Holborn and couldn't be bothered to go to the Brunswick shopping centre branch would you tell me where the new one you've discovered is,please?
Would there be groans from everyone if I wish-listed Carluccio's for that empty gap ? Everything Italian to mangare,the aromas that would drift down The Cut,it would be like downtown Milan !
Monday 19 September 2011 10.56pm
The Holborn Waitrose is just around the corner from Holborn Station, on High Holborn. Just past the Pret a Manger , and before you get to the big hotel.
Tuesday 20 September 2011 10.15am
Not far from my office - am very very happy!

Would you like to go with me?
Where?
Wherever I'm going
Are you *really* asking?
Is that your *real* answer?
Tuesday 20 September 2011 10.45am
Ugh, so depressing and boring. <Puts on daily mail hat> there should be a law against having identical shops within a mile or so of each other. <removes hat hurriedly> Still could be worse, could have been a Starbucks . Or a Tesco. Or a charnel house.
Tuesday 20 September 2011 5.28pm
A charnel house??!!
Zoe
Tuesday 20 September 2011 6.49pm
It would be odd to have a charnel house near us, but the area has changed a lot, there's room for everything.
Tuesday 20 September 2011 10.01pm
Wouldnt have thought the site would be big enough , must be going to be quite a small shop.
I wonder how long the payless / costcutter will both last with a sainburys next door?
Wednesday 21 September 2011 7.23am
I was about to say that I feel sorry for the two existing convenience stores on the Cut...but then I remember they never look me in the eye at the counter and never say thank you or talk to the customer in any way...so not such a loss really. Independent stores HAVE to trade on service if they can't beat the big boys on price.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 11.52pm
The convenience store nearest Southwark Tube used to be a stationery shop called Stricklands I believe - it sold all kinds of stationery products - it might be a good thing if a shop like that came into the area and there could be a market for it - students , offices , small businesses etc. I have to agree both these stores don't seem to go in for a customer friendly management style which is a mistake I think.
The make up of The Cut's shops has changed considerably - it used to have a 'one of' everything style composition and market stalls.The Co-oP had a convenience store and a butchers ; there was also a little supermarket called Cater's. From Sainsbury's point of view I guess they think it will service a different part of the area around Southwark Tube/Blackfriars Road - the one in Waterloo Road always seems crowded and busy. It might provide jobs for locals which should be a good thing and in some ways they are returning to their roots as their Head Office just to be a stone's throw away ! I think it would be nice for The Cut if it got a couple of independent shops but if you extend the reach of The Cut into the Lower Marsh there are some good individual shops in the vicinity. I think a good quality independent butcher's would be a good addition and they wouldn't have to think too hard for a name.
Thursday 22 September 2011 7.01am
Cuts - independent purveyors of fine meats. Sliced as you love 'em.

Cuts - You name it we slice it.

The Cut - A butcher of distinction for all the family's needs.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions