London SE1 community website

Sainsbury's coming to The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Wednesday 1 February 2012 5.28pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
jinkazama wrote:
The burger joint replacing livebait will be Byron Burger and if you have ever eaten there you'll know its a very welcome addition. Sainsburys not so welcome.

Byron Burger is a chain just like Sainsburys.

And just like livebate...
Thursday 2 February 2012 5.29pm
Ah, but Livebait wasn't a chain when it opened in the Cut, it was the first one
Friday 3 February 2012 10.26am
And the Goose & Firkin (now called something completely different that I can't remember) on the junction of Borough Road and Southwark Bridge Road was the first of the long-dead Firkin chain of pubs. And Konditor & Cook under Waterloo East was the first of that chain, too. Any more?

If I remember correctly, the distinctive black and white tiling was there for Livebait's previous incarnation as a greasy caff (went in there once for some not-particularly-good bacon and eggs), and they just kept it. I doubt it will remain, but I think it's an old feature not Livebait-specific poncey fanciness.
Friday 3 February 2012 11.21am
Although the Firkin chain has gone down the firkin tube, the names live on eg:
Fox & Firkin, Lewisham
Friday 3 February 2012 11.40am
(On the subject of chains that started here)...was the first Tas in SE1?

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 3 February 2012 11.44am
Of course, Sainsbury's had its headquarters in Stamford Street for more than a century, so has some local credentials too.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 12 April 2012 5.34pm
i see the construction of the new sainsburys has started on the site of the old laundrette/kitchen shop on the cut

handy to have (and better than the 24 hour cost cutter style shop across from it) , but would have preferred to still have the kitchen shop and launderette back !!

PS - tescos now started delivering up till 2200hrs in SE1 again !
Thursday 12 April 2012 8.00pm
I mentioned this before but thought it was worth saying again the kitchen shop was for many years a Co-Op Butchers and that next door to it on the corner was a Co-Op mini 'supermarket' - obviously both were very different in the 1970s to a modern 'local' supermarket and co-existed with stalls / a few other shops.
So in a way it would have been nice to see a Co-Op if there had to be a local 'supermarket' - it would at least have had some historical connection to the site. Sainsbury's is of course linked to the local area.
Hope the new shop employs local people and then at least a genuine local feeling can be created. Maybe some of the local community groups can also plug into community schemes that companies like Sainsbury's offer to help finance local projects.
Friday 13 April 2012 9.57am
I remember Sainsbury's on Stamford Street with affection and their production centre in Paris Gardens and their bacon processing unit on Great Suffolk Street, so they are definitely connected, historically to this area. So I will welcome the new store with open arms and wallet.
Like mitreroader I also can recall Royal Arsenal Co-op having the shop on the corner of The Cut and Short Street and the butchers next door and getting tin money tokens with your purchases. I cannot remember what occupied the launderette premises, I believe it may have been part of a large cafe/restaurant called Goodmans or something like that.
Having said that I will welcome Sainsbury's (at least it has stopped another restaurant/coffee bar/ burger bar being opened on the site) I would always have preferred Panbros and the kitchen shop and launderette to have remained. I used Panbros six days a week the kitchen shop regularly enough to be on first name terms with the staff and the launderette rarely.
You can see that I would like to turn the clock back because I am fed up with the constant spread of cafes, restaurants and now kerbside foodstalls on Lower Marsh ( at the last count sixteen of them).
I have realised that I have shown that I have well and truly joined the club of Grumpy old men.
Monday 11 June 2012 12.57pm
Opens this week http://t.co/988aX08i

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions