London SE1 community website

Sainsbury's coming to The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Tuesday 12 June 2012 10.23pm
Sainsburys will be open by the end of the week if their stocking of the shelves is anything to go by, they have been doing it for two days now.
The cash machine (ATM) is already working, I have drawn cash from it, on Monday to be exact.
Thursday 14 June 2012 6.02pm
Just wondered if anyone knew when the new Sainsburys in 'The Cut' will be open? Walked past there today and it looks pretty ready!
Thursday 14 June 2012 6.06pm
Opens tomorrow.
Thursday 14 June 2012 6.15pm
Thank you, I'm assuming it's early in the morning! As someone who lives in Nelson Square I welcome the addition, just hope it's not full of the office brigade pushing and shoving like 'Tescos' in Great Suffolf Street!
Zoe
Thursday 14 June 2012 7.37pm
I've never noticed that in the tesco's, I've found it to be full of students (still pushing like).

They may have special offers when it opens tomorrow, so I may be see you there TraceyR!!
Wednesday 20 June 2012 9.51am
This is interesting:
http://newcutmarket.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/local-boy-comes-back-to-where-it-all.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 20 June 2012 10.06am
James Hatts wrote:
So there is hope for Gregg Wallace yet then...
Saturday 7 July 2012 7.07pm
So, it's been open for a while now. What does everyone think?

I've been in 3 or 4 times.

The staff have been very helpful and friendly, but there tends not to be enough tills open. Instead, people are at the front encouraging customers to use the self-scanning machines. They don't seem to be very popular, though, with many people preferring to queue to be served by a human.

The raw food range is a bit limited, with a poor choice of cuts of meat (nb Why are they selling New Zealand lamb at this time of year? And why Danish pork?) and cheeses, and a poor selection of veg, most of which can't be bought in small quantities.

There's plenty of choice of industrial lagers, but only two ales (London Pride and Speckled Hen). At least they're not kept in the fridge.

Having said that, there appears to be an extensive selection of ready meals and biscuits, with roughly the same amount of shelf space given over to digestive biscuits as non-Cheddar cheeses.

So, all in all, a bit of a disappointment and I still can't find anywhere round Waterloo to get decent food after 7pm.
Zoe
Saturday 7 July 2012 7.40pm
Today a member of staff tried to get me to use self checkout and then offered to scan my items for me at the self checkout, but I was next in the queue and why would I walk backwards to the annoying self checkout when I would be seen quicker by waiting. I found it a bit inappropriate to be bullied repeatedly into using the self checkout, and I'm hardly so stupid that I need someone to scan for me.

Small thing, but puts me off going in.
Tuesday 10 July 2012 8.30am
I use Sainsbury's about twice a week and have found the staff most helpful, too helpful when trying to make me use the self-service tills. I suppose they have had special training on those tills and want to demonstrate such but I always want to be served by humans.Last week I bought a salt beef sandwich and the girl on the till told me that I could have a drink and a packet of crisps with it as a meal-deal the self-service till wouldn't have given me that information and I would have been the loser.
More importantly I want to preserve what little bit of dignity and pride I have left in my dotage and don't want a machine heckling me and telling the world that I am a non- techi idiot ( I am, but I don't want everyone to know ) and I do not want a member of staff holding my hand and guiding me through an experience I want no part of and the fact that I am waiting to be served means that I don't want more automation than I need.
The fresh fruit and vegetables have been first class, especially the Kent strawberries and Sweetheart cabbages.
I am happy that Sainsbury's are back and given the closeness of the college I am quite pleased with their provisions.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions