London SE1 community website

Where To Watch The Rugby In SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Wednesday 21 September 2011 11.06am
I have mixed feelings about this.

Yes, bigphil has sometimes overdone the self-promotion and I have on occasion deleted some of his more thinly disguised adverts without comment or explanation.

However, he does take part in the forum in a range of threads on a variety of subjects.

This thread - albeit a bit cheeky - would not be totally unreasonable if people had responded with details of other pubs showing the rugby.

And it is at least in the spirit of similar threads we have had in the past about which pubs are showing what sporting fixtures.

Furthermore, at least bigphil isn't pretending to be a disinterested customer of The Crown.

It is interesting that amongst some long-time forum users there is such hostility to anything with even a hint of commercial self-interest.

I can see that if every local pub posted in the way that bigphil does, we would have to take a firmer line.

However, I don't think the rudeness with which people have responded to bigphil on this thread or others is justified, and I don't think it does the forum as a whole much credit - however understandable the desire to keep commercial interests at bay.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 1.30pm
Maybe make it a rule that if BigPhil (how big is big anyway) starts a thread advertising his pub, he has to include details of three others providing the same service!!

Where he responds to an inquiry, this would not be required.
Wednesday 21 September 2011 1.41pm
I thought the post was fine. It was open, and useful.

I'd be less inclined to feel that way if Phil didnt regularly use the forum (ie, only post to advertise his business...).
Thursday 29 September 2011 12.03pm
Cheeky? Yes. But commercial affiliations aside, I just wanted to thank BigPhil for starting this thread as I've personally struggled to find a good pub to watch rugby in and around the LB/Bankside/Waterloo area for previous tournaments, not just the RWC! I too am amazed that this is the ONLY post on the subject.

We've been watching games at The Hatter (the pub under the hotel), corner of Stamford St and Blackfriars Rd. Decent full english served, if a bit pricey. Gotten a few odd looks from hotel guests though!

I looked into the Roxy Bar & Screen... games are on, but ticketed. 15, including breakfast and a hot drink.

Might call around a few more places today... will post again if I find any others :)
Thursday 29 September 2011 12.50pm
I'd be surprised if the Windmill in The Cut are not showing the games. That's where I usually go (in normal daytime hours).

It may be worth giving them a call.
Saturday 1 October 2011 10.04am
Update on the Hatter... They've helpfully moved the breakfast bar to in front of the tv. Not ideal!

Now in the Stamford Arms. 3 tv's and already serving. Job done! :)
Thursday 6 October 2011 10.14pm
Is anywhere in the area showing the one game I want to watch, Australia vs South Africa at 6am on Sunday? If not, I'll have to find an Ozzy or Saffa place, but chances are there's no such place in SE1!
Friday 7 October 2011 9.25am
Sorry we are not open till 8am for the Kiwi / Arg match on sunday.
You might try the Aardvark over in rotherhithe ( not sure if they still going?)it used to be a well known saffa joint
If no luck, you are more than welcome to join us for our Speights Breakfast & BBQ brunch.

cheers

phil @ The Crown
Friday 7 October 2011 11.55am
Thanks to bigphil for advertising The Crown being open for rugby (including breakfast). I don't think it's spamming at all. It's very helpful to know, as a lot of pubs aren't opening for the RWC.
Boss St Bloke: get a life!
Friday 7 October 2011 12.01pm
CathyG wrote:
Boss St Bloke: get a life!

Cathy: I have a life thanks and I am entitled to my opinion just like you are.

My point was that "Big Phil" should be responding to folks asking where to watch the rugby, not advertising his pub on this forum - which he has a track record of doing.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions