London SE1 community website

Where To Watch The Rugby In SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Wednesday 12 October 2011 8.52am
France
--------------------France
Wales
----------------------------------------------France
Australia
--------------------Australia
New Zealand
Saturday 15 October 2011 10.47am
That was a really exciting match. Wales were the better team I think but the ref was a plonker.
Saturday 15 October 2011 6.37pm
phoney wrote:
France
Wales
Australia
New Zealand

Allez les bleus!
Saturday 15 October 2011 11.03pm
Debrajoan wrote:
phoney wrote:
France
Wales
Australia
New Zealand

Allez les bleus!

Je l'espère aussi! Les Bleus, toujours les Bleus!
Sunday 16 October 2011 9.31am
phoney wrote:
That was a really exciting match. Wales were the better team I think but the ref was a plonker.

Not only is the ref not a plonker, he should be applauded for applying the laws f the game in the manner announced prior to the start of the competition - for dangerous play, start at red. You may not be familiar with the ELVs introduced last November to try and eliminate the escalating level of head and neck injuries in professional rugby. It's correct that Warburton did not drive him into the ground but he did drop him and it's clear from his face and actions immediately afterwards that he appreciated the seriousness of what he had done.

The problem with situations such as these is that they need to be stamped out completely - no stand up tackling. It has not traditionally been part of the game ad the consequences can be paralysis.
Sunday 16 October 2011 9.48am
Warburton was off Balance with the weight of the french player and didn't slam him on the ground. As I understand the rule pertaining to lifting a player, you must lower the lifted player in 'a controlled manner' not always possible to do with the momentum of play. It was a yellow card at most in my opinion, and as several ex-players commenting pointed out, it could have been reviewed by the video referee quite quickly and if Warburton was subsequently awarded a red card at least hte decision would have been validated and the game would not have been so dramatically affected by a major refereeing decision possibly influenced by the french reaction on the pitch.
Sunday 16 October 2011 7.51pm
Before this World Cup got under way, O'Brien told officials that they had "let the foot off the throat" in five areas, one of which was foul play. In the case of "high tackles, grabbing and twisting of the head, and tip tackles", O'Brien told his referees to "start at red [card] and work backwards." from daily telegraph

hence why the ref was correct following the advice from O'Brien who instructs the refs ... all the tosh spoken by Pienar Fitzpatrick and Lynagh etc. Warburton lifted the guy and just dropped him (i.e. didn't make an effort to bring him to the ground safely) so no mitigating circumstances hence red.

Re rugby watching Stage Door back of Old Vic is great. Ozzy guy runs it. Cheers Simon
Sunday 16 October 2011 7.55pm
Agree with Simon. Been in Italy, who seemed to have lost interest, bit like England. So saw the incident late. has to be straight red. Could have broken his neck, thatis the point.
Sunday 16 October 2011 10.17pm
So the problem is really the inconsistancy of the refs......now where have I heard that before...?
Monday 17 October 2011 3.37pm
Well one of my predictions came right

so its down to les blues to hold it up for the Northern Hemispere and of course New Zealand to overcome 24 years of hurt!

yesterday was like one big reunion with Kiwis from Invercargill to Kaikohe, New Plymouth to Ruatoria and loads of places inbetween, all gathered for our rugby breakfast. ( special mention to our mates from Aussie, England, Ireland and a sole welshman ( good on ya Clive). the day was fantastic as was the band!

We are doing all over again this Sunday except we have a new sponsor. Seights is all gone and we are going Pure!

doors open 8am

Kiwi breakfast
The Big Final
NZ Beers on Tap and bottles
Aftermatch Band

Come on In for a Big "Kiaora Bro"

cheers
Phil

NB: It was great to meet people who have seen this thread and come along. I am now convinced that a lot more people read this forum than actually comment on it!!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions