London SE1 community website

People going through bins

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 25 September 2011 10.19pm
Same thing has happened off old Jamaica road, they go through the communal bins regularly. Spoke to local PCSO. They're looking for your personal info. Apparently they can sell anything they get to people higher up the food chain. Please be careful and shred everything. I also flush all unused out of date medicines. They'll either sell them, or leave them over the floor where a child might pick them up.
Monday 26 September 2011 12.00pm
I am in Searles Road and it is a daily occurrence, a chap brings along his trolley and goes through our recycling bin at about 6.45 a.m. I agree with Pops comment I think it is metal they are after.
Monday 26 September 2011 12.43pm
People will go through bins as well because naive and unknowing (I hope rather than lazy or malicious) people like 'Aunty Pat' and 'Jasmine' discard medicines without thought to law, the environment or potential harm to children, animals or those who will take any drug.

Medicines that are past their use or no longer required MUST be taken to a pharmacist who will dispose of them responsibly for no charge. Flushing them is as dangerous as chucking thoughtlessly in a bin. They just get recycled through your tap.

Equally we compost our old documents after we have shredded them. I am paranoid about those who (allegedly) glue them back together! I haven't reverted to buying the rubber stamp with which you can obliterate the details
Monday 26 September 2011 10.18pm
Thanks for flagging this. Grange road seems to be getting rubbish dumped on it a lot more these days irrespective of it then being ripped open. By amisha and the like. Does anyone know what is going on?
Monday 26 September 2011 11.04pm
I do realise that medicines should not be thrown away in the rubbish - I should have made it clear that it was the packaging that was in the rubbish bags, not the actual medicines, which I had taken.
Wednesday 5 October 2011 3.14pm
I've recently noticed that people have been going through our bins, mostly becauise of the mess they are leaving behind or lids being left open which encourages the local foxes to jump in and scatter rubbish everywhere.

No idea if it is for ID theft or metal, but it is concerning.

Is there such a thing as a wheely bin lock? Will the police/council even be interested if I report this?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions