London SE1 community website

Bermondsey Street Saturation Policy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Wednesday 5 October 2011 8.06pm
Zoe's point seems reasonable to me. I often take an evening walk down Bermondsey St. and enjoy the buzz, but I can't say I'd like cheerful drinkers swarming under my windows when I was trying to sleep - or, indeed, read/talk/watch tv in my own home. And one problem is that once people have even a few drinks inside them they don't realise how increasingly loud they inevitably get.

So, in my view, while local people who use the street certainly ought to have a chance to express their opinions about its development, people who actually live there have the best claim of all to be heard.

Having said that, there's a difference between this forum and the formal planning process. So dismissing comment from everyone but Bermondsey St dwellers seems strange to me. I find the comparisons with Hoxton and other recently gentrified inner-city areas very interesting.
Wednesday 5 October 2011 8.31pm
I think one point that hasn't been flagged is that our councillors are raising the issue so we can act. I'm more uncomfortable about how the shard when it is a at full capacity will affect the street mainly because I feel it will become less local and it will be increasingly difficult and competitive to access. At the mo I know friends and neighbours on the street and it is so special to have that in London. We have to keep an eye on this and maintain part of discussion. I lived in angel when it went from antiques to independents to chain stores so hope to not see a repeat in a neighbourhood I feel more a part of.
Wednesday 5 October 2011 11.59pm
I guess I'm a bit confused by this. B street always feels so dead when I (occasionally) visit - I expect saturation policies to be proposed in areas like shoreditch and bethnal green, where nightlife is dominating the area with negative conciquences, but it seems a ways away there.

The poster who said opening hours are the right way to deal with this is quite right IMHO. a 1100 closing time will keep this as a neighbourhood centre, rather than a nightlife hotspot.

If you don't want them, please send your bars and restaurants to the elephant and castle where they will be warmly welcomed ;)
Thursday 6 October 2011 10.39am
jamesup wrote:
If you don't want them, please send your bars and restaurants to the elephant and castle where they will be warmly welcomed ;)

Or BHS!
Saturday 8 October 2011 10.02am
I"m suspicious of the catalyst for this story. It seems quite a coincidence that a coucillor declares this as an issue at the same time a new group appears to have been formed (the "action group", which doesn't represent Bermondsey street at all, but the interests/vision of its seemingly few members).

Is this simply a case of someone providing a press release to this webpage and it being picked up as a story? A quick google search seems to indicate that the lady quoted in the article (unhappy with the terrifying thought of a tiny restaurant opposite her 'village green') is involved in PR and the story is heavily dependent on quotes and not (that I can see) a particular event.

My suspicions are also raised when there is a direct link between at least one person cited in the article and the committee of the Bermondsey Street Area Partnership, a group which claims to be 'non-political'.

I share the view that saturation is a long way off; I also share the view that local residents have a right to live in a pleasant area, but it's offensive when groups composed of a very vocal minority are formed to push their own agenda in the hope that they will have a disproportionate influence on local policy and the way in which a neighbourhood develops.

I fear that this is all about nimbyism, plain and simple. And I write this as a long term resident of B street, in the thick of the bar/restaurant corridor.

I think the street has a long way to go in terms of dining/drinking establishments, and all the other mixed use amenities that will come to the street. Long may it continue.

Perhaps the 'village green' would be better served if the action group focussed its energies in ridding the park of its homeless residents - for the little children and the families.
Saturday 8 October 2011 4.05pm
I totally agree with Deek concerns.

In fact months ago the same thing happened following a long thread on this web regarding the spreading of betting agencies in SE1.

A councilor immediately tweeted and gave interview but I think nothing has followed on...
Saturday 8 October 2011 9.08pm
I'd dismiss the opinions of anyone who refers to Bermondsey Street as B Street unless they are an antipodean estate agent & drink skinny soy chai lattes.
Where is Tooting away?
Saturday 8 October 2011 10.52pm
antipodean....and sidney....in the same post....i get the humour....many many apologies for the shorthand S...i've been here too long to bother spelling the whole thing every time i use it...i gather you knew what i was referring to.
Sunday 9 October 2011 10.36am
I think anyone who refers to the are as 'Berm' should be buried in one.
Sunday 9 October 2011 12.45pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I think anyone who refers to the are as 'Berm' should be buried in one.

Does "the are" was meant to be there, instead? or the area?

I wonder why every time you take long dispute over spelling and abbreviations..

My experience as a non native is that spelling is not what British are great at, anyway...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions